Internet > Web Browsing & Email

Email redirection

(1/5) > >>

Weaver:
I have a lot of domain names. In the case of many them I would like email to be redirected to one central email mailbox because checking multiple mailboxes would be madness and it has cost implications too.

My question: to redirect email, do I merely set the appropriate MX record do that it gets sent to the central aggregation target redirection mailbox? Can I get away with just doing that?

I’m wondering if the redirection target destination mail server will object because the email’s to: address will not be a match for the recipient aggregation mailbox’s known address.

sevenlayermuddle:
I suspect that is a question about the destination server, rather than MX records?

I suppose it is possible to write a server that would perform a domain name check before accepting incoming mail, but that would seem to make it a rather useless server as this is a scenario that happens all the time.   So I am betting that most servers won’t care about addressing. If mail is delivered, they would process it regardless of ‘to’ address.

For my own domains, as far as I recall, all I need do is update MX for mail to be handled by different servers.

But I may have forgotten something (how would I know if I had?), or I may just be wrong and/or others may know better. :)

d2d4j:
Hi

If you change your MX record to a mail server which is not aware of your domain it should be refused and not received

I think you maybe getting confused with catchall for domain email which can be turned on or off (and you can have catchall in O365 but takes a little work to configure)

So your mx record needs to point to your correct email server which is setup to handle your domain email

As for the question over diverting all your domains email to just one email - you could setup each email account to forward email or create domain email aliases - a lot depends if you the want to use same alias as a sender email addrsss - please remember most mail servers are not open relay

Many thanks

John

Ronski:
I have various domains with IONOS (formally 1&1), on all domains I can set up up as many free email forwards that I want, just create the address and tell it the address to forward to, works perfectly, been doing that for years. Presumably other domain registers have the same feature.

jelv:
As John said, if you change the MX records to point to a server that is not explicitly hosting mail for that domain emails will be refused. You need to set up redirects on the mail servers to forward mail to the email address on the domain where you want all the mail to end up.

To preserve the correct email address when you send emails out you will still probably have to keep multiple accounts in your mail client and make sure you use the correct one each time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version