Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Switched to HG612, very slow  (Read 2677 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Switched to HG612, very slow
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 06:11:57 PM »

Possible this modem is faulty?

That might be the case.

Should a get a Vigor 130, or other, instead?

Before committing to any further outlay, it might be an idea to determine the manufacturer of the cabinet DSLAM. Is it Huawei or ECI?

And while I think of it: Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

stevetz

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »

Thank you, I’ve lurked a bunch before but (unfortunately!) first time I’ve needed to post!

The cabinet dslam is Huawei, I spent a good half hour this afternoon reading the kitz pages about how to find it, and scrolling google streetview.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »

The matching of the modem chip-set and the DSLAM line-card chip-set is not too relevant but the Vigor-130 uses a Lantiq (Intel) chip-set whilst the Huawei line-card uses Broadcom.

Personally, I am not that impressed with the Lantiq chip-set . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »

The Vigor 130 is a nice modem - you just plug it in and it simply works. However, many of our forum members, myself included use ZyXEL modems. I use four ZyXEL VMG1312 B10A devices in modem-only mode but this model is not being manufactured any more so it’s only available from say eBay. I would recommend using a top of the range current model if you want to go with ZyXEL. The ZyXEL VMG 1312 B10D does not perform as well because it lacks a certain filter component which cleans up the signal; the B10A and other modems have this component and therefore offer superior performance, so I’m told.

The ZyXEL modems use a Broadcom chipset - the choice of whether to use a Vigor 130 or one of the Broadcom chipset-based modems should be governed in part by what chipset there is in the FTTC cabinet that you’re using. If you are thinking about a Vigor 130 then I wouldn’t go that way unless your FTTC cab matches the chipset used in the Vigor and if memory serves the Vigor modems are not Broadcom-based but use Lantiq chipsets.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »

Personally, I am not that impressed with the Lantiq chip-set . . .

My personal experience (granted on ECI DSLAM) is that Lantiq worked fastest on a good line (especially as I could manually adjust the SNRm to 3dB) but Broadcom is much more stable on a bad line.

Sounds like op is on Huawei though which would get 3dB anyway if it was stable (its clearly anything but).

There's always the possibility also that the HG612 or its PSU is faulty (bad caps?) as they are getting quite old now.  My ECI had bad caps and it hadn't had nearly as much use as my HG612, although it also hadn't become unstable yet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

stevetz

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »

I've had a look at ebay - which is a bit slow at the min with everyone isolationg(?) - and there are no VMG1312 B10A for a reasonable price right now... I can see hg612s for less than £20, so thought about buying another if indeed mine here is kaput, rather than just line issues with this model...

I wanted to make certain that it is broken before I do anything else:
- 1. Would replacing it for the AIO temporarily show if this is the case? I'm worried I'll anger the dlm...
- 2. Or should I keep the current modem connected for.... a few more days/weeks to see if it is the DLM? The day/day after I swapped the modem in there were loads of errors and resyncs -oops!

The upload speed is the thing thats killing me at the moment, at just about 600kbps it's getting quite tedious for my work vpn... but we've not noticed any issues with the lower download speed impacting the usual (1) heavy evening streaming... I've spun up a full blown gui-ed vm (most of my server side is on lxcs) to run the dsl stas application, so have that running 24/7 for now too if more data will help diagnose the issue?

Probably aside, and I might need to ask in a seperate post: is there any current script or tool to take the dsl data either direct from telnet or via the dslstats application and send it into a time series database like influxdb so I can use this in a grafana instance? I have a few tablets and displays around the house it would be 'nice' to have direct dsl graphs on! I guess I could probably write a script based on dslstats but might take me a long time to get it working!

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »

I used a Vigor 2760 as an cheaper alternative to the Vigor 130 and it worked well for me while I was in ECI I changed the target SNR to 3dB also.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »

You would more than likely get similar results from another HG612.

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A (or VMG8324-B10A) is also a good performer, just a different style to the VMG1312-B10A.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

stevetz

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »

Well I relented after some terrible quality zoom calls today! Back on the old AIO (the USG in the DMZ it's not the END of the world). On the hg612 I was getting 1000 ES/h today, after a resync overnight took another 1000kbps off the downstream with a sprightly 584 kbps up!

Now on 27/4 - suspect the DLM had a fit with the HG612 so maybe that will creep up to normal again over the next few weeks.

I've now also got a bid in on a VMG8924-B10A on ebay, so thanks j0hn!

I would prefer the flat modem with ports on the back to sit on a rack shelf... I dont understand the fashion for daft stand-up tall designs, but needs (££) must!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »

Well the airflow can be better on stand up designs, although I prefer to wall mount anyway.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]