Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach don't provision multiple FTTP services to one property  (Read 5907 times)

niemand

• Kitizen

Queried something with @OpenreachHelp on Twitter today. As part of the conversation was told this gem:

HI Carl, I Hope you're well and keeping safe. It's not possible to have multiple FTTP lines into the one property I'm afraid. ^Frazer

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach don't provision multiple FTTP services to one property
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51:31 PM »

Hmm . . . :hmm:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »

Hmm . . . :hmm:

My thoughts exactly. The checker says that a new ONT can be ordered which implies it's possible to get a second FTTP service at the same address.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

Hi

The checker doesn't appear to know if an existing service is at the property or not, just seems to report on the basis there isn't.

Also you can understand why they wouldn't want to install additional fibres to a single property as they don't tend to install with much spare capacity, i.e there may be an 8 way port at the DP that serves 8 properties, okay not all will take up FTTP at this time so there may be spare ports so someone could take 2 or 3 even of those to the same property, but later at copper switch off when those properties have to join the fibre network they find there are no connections available at the DP.

The easier technological solution is of course multi port ONTs, but still this creates a potential problem if Openreach only wish to share a single fibre between a maximum number of premises.

The other reason not to supply it; why would a non commercial property require 2 or more fibre connections?  If someone needs that much capacity they should pay for a leased line or go with another fibre provider (other than Openreach) in the case of over build as clearly it isn't typical domestic use.

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:44:31 AM by PhilipD »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »

Hi

The checker doesn't appear to know if an existing service is at the property or not, just seems to report on the basis there isn't.

The checker results tell you there's an ONT with an active service if you have FTTP.
It's usually smart enough to know if you need a new ONT or have a 4 port ONT already.

Those with a 1 port ONT will see..

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

or if you have a 4 port ONT

ONT exists with active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »

Hi

Not saying that for my address, don't think it ever did.  It went to UG Proven Clear at time of installation but neighbours without FTTP currently show 'Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated'.  Nothing about service active for me, and I'm on FTTP   :)

I suspect there are many inconsistencies on their database, what is normal for some aren't necessarily true for what others see.

Edit: I wonder if I see these particular results because I don't have a telephone number or land line anymore and it is just an address search and not a telephone number search?

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:51:54 AM by PhilipD »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »

Edit: I wonder if I see these particular results because I don't have a telephone number or land line anymore and it is just an address search and not a telephone number search?

Yes, that might influence the result.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »

Think of the reasons why people would want 2+.

Either redundancy or that capacity of one isnt enough, typically a consumer wouldnt have either of these two reasons.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »

Openreach are happy to provide multiple lines.

You just need to ask the right people.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »

Hi

Openreach are happy to provide multiple lines.

You just need to ask the right people.

Not what you stated when you started this thread. So the reason for you starting this thread was?  There is enough click bate around on the Internet, we don't need more thank you.  :no:

Regards

Phil

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »

Queried something with @OpenreachHelp on Twitter today. As part of the conversation was told this gem:

They're talking out of their rear end as I already have 3 FTTP services running off a single ONT (4 port). Even if you have a single port ONT there's no technical reason why they cannot provision additional lines assuming no capacity issues - obviously another ONT & fibre run will be req'd, unless they're willing to install a new 4 port ONT. I suspect the person who replied to you probably isn't trained properly.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

Not what you stated when you started this thread. So the reason for you starting this thread was?  There is enough click bate around on the Internet, we don't need more thank you.  :no:

Pretty sure he was pointing out the nonsense being spewed by OpenReach on Twitter.

Most of us already know they will happily provide more than 1 FTTP service to a single dwelling.

Hardly clickbait is it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »

Pretty sure he was pointing out the nonsense being spewed by OpenReach on Twitter.

Most of us already know they will happily provide more than 1 FTTP service to a single dwelling.

Hardly clickbait is it.

That is not how I read it though, and I didn't know they happily provide more than one service, I took it at face value that they didn't or that they might have done but no longer will i.e no 4 port ONTs anymore.

Remember not everyone that visits here will have in depth knowledge or a background of xDSL, FTTP and networking to be able to pick out fact from fiction or what realise a post is meant as irony or sarcasm which may or may not have been the intention of starting a new topic with the heading "Openreach don't provision multiple FTTP services to one property".

Even now we don't know for sure if they do or do not provide multiple services at this time.  :lol:  Maybe if you have a 4 port Hub they will, but has anyone got a second fibre installed to end up with 2 or more single ONTs?

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:01:57 AM by PhilipD »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »

It's odd that your result doesn't indicate an active ONT at your address. I went down the FTTPoD route and went live over a year ago (waiting for the regrade mess to be cleared up so I can get the gigabit tier soon).

My address returns the following result:
Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

Another address checker, which requires a login of which I have one for, also tells me a little more about my address, and appears to be allowing me to place an order if I wish to do so.

https://i.imgur.com/XPu3gAJ.png

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »

Hi

It's odd that your result doesn't indicate an active ONT at your address. I went down the FTTPoD route and went live over a year ago (waiting for the regrade mess to be cleared up so I can get the gigabit tier soon).

So have you those results just from using your postcode/house number?  Do you have an active copper BT line?  I can't be sure but I think at some point it did say I had an active service on the old checker after shortly going live on FTTP whilst I was able to do a telephone number lookup on the checker.  (Had a few weeks overlap of the old VDSL/telephone line).

I suppose it doesn't really matter what the checker is saying, it doesn't undo the fact I do have an active FTTP service, just seems to show there are some inconsistencies with what data or how that data is shown on the various checkers.

Regards

Phil
Pages: [1] 2