Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hacking IP Address?  (Read 2242 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Hacking IP Address?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »

I suspect only a very small proportion of leaks are a result of hacking, far more likely to be just low tech crime, and sometimes just by accident.

Your email address ‘leaks’ every time you send an email - there’s nothing to stop the recipient from broadcasting it to the world.  I recently received a village newsletter where the sender had visibly cc’d everybody.  No malicious hacking, just an innocent but predictable mistake.

Your IP address ‘leaks’ with every website you visit, it is always visible to the website operator.  Similarly DNS servers etc, all can record your IP.  Through incompetence, or criminal intent (no hacking involved), they can disclose it.

Your card number ‘leaks’ with every transaction, in the high street as well as online.  I suspect (anybody know for sure?) that applies to contactless too, so if you swipe to buy a coffee at a market stall... leaked.  It potentially leaks big time if you pay for something by phone as you have to read it aloud, including even the 3 digit security number.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »

I am not that concerned  by email or IP address leaks. Other than the spam. I have had the same email address for a very long time.

CC numbers should not leak between your browser and the server if a secure transmission method is used. There is a lot to be said for HTTPS everywhere. Provided the organisation and staff are honest.
Physical card transactions and contactless should be secure, but I can worry about it.
Access to call center recordings could be lucrative.

The sort of leak which worries me are those which include email address / username, plain text password either negligently stored that way by the leak source or cracked, and other sensitive information.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 01:07:38 PM »

Every time another human being gets sight of my data, I regard it as potentially ‘leaked’.  They might be dishonest, or they might just be stupid, but unless I have reason to trust them an awful lot, I have to regard that data as no longer being private.   

That applies in particular to credit card numbers and always has done, predating online transactions.   Nowadays, I think (?) it even applies to contactless purchases using cards.   The merchant or retailer, who I don’t know from Adam, gets to see my card number.   Fortunately a card number on its own, absent of security code, is of limited use to fraudsters - otherwise I’d probably not use bank cards at all, online or in the high street.   

Not sure how it applies to other contactless payments, such as my Apple watch.  That gets assigned its own unique equivalent of a card number, so the retailer never gets to see the number printed on my card, or so I understand.  I do use it most often these days.

The only time I experienced an actual worrying problem was a British Airways fiasco a few years back when, through incredible incompetence, they disclosed the card numbers and CVV security codes to fraudsters.  On that occasion I did take the precaution of immediately calling the bank to cancel the card, without waiting for the bank to do so themselves, and without waiting to see if it was actually misused.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »

In 15 years of hard internet use, I've only ONCE had a serious issue (not that serious actually) and it was my fault as I ran an Apache server to test a forum locally..unbeknown to me I had set it up the wrong way which allowed a backdoor for hackers.. I went shopping, came back and everyone in my email had been spammed..this was in 2011

never had any issues since, I always use good AV's (as per AV-Comparative and AV-Test results), good browser addons (Firefox + uBlock Origin, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, W.OT. and Containers so I can use Youtube logged in for my subscriptions, but not be logged in to any other Google services, I highly recommend it, I have a container for Bank, Facebook, Google and Youtube - it prevent cross-site scripting - a bit like a Tab is its own browser..

I also use ExpressVPN which is great...

couldnt ask for more protection other than using TAILS as OS and TOR as Brower... but thats OTT and for Dark Web users
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: 1 [2]