Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Line Interference  (Read 5428 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Line Interference
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »

Thats excellent news norman   :thumbs:
- glad you tracked down the source, monitors can be a culprit, although its normally the old CRT ones.

Thanks for reporting back to us and letting us know :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »

Ask your neighbour if they have on the lead between the monitor and pc a cylinder part way along the lead about twice the diamater of the cable and about 20-30mm long, if not then this could have been the problem. the only way to find out is try another monitor lead with said cylinder and see if you get the same effect or not.

If not then it's a case of either a new lead or you can get a clip on ferrite ring to go on the original cable
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menu=-2&Mname=Components&criteria=ferrite  :)

if no difference, new lcd monitor (assuming the cause isn't the monitor output of the pc) :(

normane

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »

I will find out later but I think the LCD Monitor is one with the external brick power supply.

Now I am syncing back up around 4mb, should I phone BT now to:

a) get my SNR lowered back down to 6db from 9db
b) get interleaving turned off

My line has been rock solid over night.

If I was to move the line to Sky broadband, would these values get carried over or would I get a new set of default Sky values?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »

If you're talking about Sky via a BT line, then nothing would change, but if it's Sky LLU then it would be completely different.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »

Easy one first

>> b) get interleaving turned off

How many FEC errors (and other errors) are you racking up and over how long?
Turning off Interleaving is a simple request for the ISP to do.

>> a) get my SNR lowered back down to 6db from 9db

This "should" in theory be relatively easy to do..  but you may have a problem getting through to someone at BTBroadband who understands what you want doing :/
...  and on top of that BT Wholesale seem to be refusing more requests to lower the target SNR back to default.
Certainly worth a try though.

The DLM in theory should recognise that your line is stable again, and over time the theory is that it should automatically lower the target SNR  back down again, however there doesnt appear to be any particular fixed routine (or a least publicised) on how this is done.  Some have seen it happen in a couple of weeks, some in a month... and theres also been some rumours that it may take error count into consideration.

>> If I was to move the line to Sky broadband, would these values get carried over or would I get a new set of default Sky values?

If you were on a Sky exchange, then no you start afresh since they have their own kit in the exchanges which they control.
Point to note though is that Sky will not turn interleaving off and all sky connections are interleaved.
Theres no info about the sky DLM and their profiles, but they do have different levels and you would start afresh.
You can ask to be transferred to a lower depth of interleaving, as their default level is very high.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

normane

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »

Yes, I am talking about Sky LLU.
Also my current interleaving depth is 32.
I have seen this at 16 at times.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 12:41:57 PM »

Yes BT have different levels too (unpublised).

Sky's default is pretty heavy and if youre a gamer then you need to get them to take it down as much as you can.

I'm not dissing sky - just something I thought you should be aware of since you asked about profiles
 - but this is the effect of the sky default interleaved profile.

Code: [Select]
1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
  2    95 ms    79 ms    79 ms  cr0.lcflw.uk.easynet.net [87.87.250.215]
  3    79 ms    75 ms    74 ms  87.87.141.225
  4    91 ms    92 ms    91 ms  bundle-2.er10.thlon.ov.easynet.net [195.66.224.43]
  5   186 ms   220 ms   217 ms  bbc-gw0-linx.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.194]
  6   131 ms    93 ms    91 ms  212.58.238.149
  7    91 ms   112 ms    94 ms  rdirwww-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.131]

compared to 14 or 15ms on Be LLU or BT Ipstream with various ISPs on the same exchange.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything