Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Going to Take a VM Service  (Read 3023 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Going to Take a VM Service
« on: November 19, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Going to Take a VM Service
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »

I mean, it's not necessarily a bad idea at all. We've been through this already and it's an even better deal right now - though I don't know if there is cashback eligibility on this deal, if that even matters.

Just please avoid changing your mind throughout the order process. And as many others probably agree, your current speed and pricing seems acceptable for your intended usage.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »

I go ahead and order M200 as it would make sense. Good deal £30 a month. And a bonus don't worry about dsl stats anymore and no more dreaded DLM. Also it good job VM upload is 20Mbps but much better 200Mbps download too.  :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »

Yes, the DLM will no longer be to fear. :)

Just be sure to sort out your existing contract with PN and make sure you are able to cancel!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:59 PM »

Are we going to run a sweepstake on how long it is before Max posts to say he's changed his mind and isn't moving to VM?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 04:48:16 PM »

Is there an order problem on virgin media website? Can't order it. Can't find my checker post code. I try again later.

Updated order has completed. Will be self install.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:55:29 PM by adslmax »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »

Is there an order problem on virgin media website? Can't order it. Can't find my checker post code. I try again later.

I thought maybe they knew you were ordering ahead of time and sabotaged their database to prevent it.  :lol:

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »

You probably weren't actually alone in this.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 08:57:20 PM »

Are we going to run a sweepstake on how long it is before Max posts to say he's changed his mind and isn't moving to VM?

Well I guess it can take a few week for the order to be processed and current ISP provider hands it over to the New ISP without any issues during the process.

and at £30 a month that is a great deal, I am paying the same for a crap 10 year old FTTC service 40/10 (38/6) with anytime calls no Virgin Media in sight or FTTP coming any time soon 2025 or 2030 I'll be in a grave by then.

dorzb

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »

I might go for VM M200 for £30 a month and ditch FTTC. https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare?navelement=black_friday_2019_bbcompare

pls share your experience with them. I was with them years ago, congestions, high latency, high jitter, throttling and packet loss and had to switch to sky and then BT as I was gaming a lot back then.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »

Unless living in the same area sadly once person's experience is unlikely to be helpful.

VM are a lot better about overselling now so if 500 and 350 are available in an area capacity should be okay.

Things are a lot better nationally since the regulations changes forced all ISPs to take peak time performance more seriously.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »

Virgin Media is available up to 500Mbps in my area when I placed an order for M200

hucknallred

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »

Having been on both sides, currently VM, they are a lot better than a few years back for overselling, my area is OK now.
It's just that yearly battle for a better deal. With VDSL you can just rotate around the suppliers on an annual basis.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »

I've never felt the need to rotate even VDSL suppliers.

Whilst AAISP is an expensive supplier, you get what you pay for, so I'm more than happy to pay for it - I have my reasons for using it.

Bulk traffic, I send down my Sky FTTC line, and that costs me... I think £21 a month for Sky Fibre Pro. (Negotiated that for 18 months, but still, it's a great price for what I get out of it)

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

dorzb

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »

Unless living in the same area sadly once person's experience is unlikely to be helpful.

VM are a lot better about overselling now so if 500 and 350 are available in an area capacity should be okay.

Things are a lot better nationally since the regulations changes forced all ISPs to take peak time performance more seriously.

You may argue that those are only my own experience. When you say vm are much better, did you mean within the last 12 months they've improved a lot?
Apparently even the last year's ofcom report (Nov 2018 Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/147332/home-broadband-report-2018.pdf) shows that vm are one of if not the worst major ISP in terms of web loading speed, latency, upstream jitter(due to the much lower upload speeds) , packet loss, DNS resolution time and most of their packages are not as good as their competitors at online streaming.
Lots of kitzens here don't play online games at all, but actually a higher bandwidth means nothing for gaming once it's reached a certain level. However, if you only care about the pure download speed, don't gaming, don't upload too much, don't care about the occasional timeout when surfing the internet then vm would be a good choice (at least before Nov 2018).

Pages: [1] 2