Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SOGEA and DLM  (Read 1964 times)

Jayb9998

SOGEA and DLM
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:01:57 PM »

I've got a new fibre broadband from sky this is a sogea line and as such I still have a phone number but is through voip my question is my speeds are slower than expected and on a usual line I would go to bt wholesale and type phone number in see if my speeds where being restricted by dlm however now I dont technically have a phone number through my phoneline so how can I check if dlm has banded my line? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Jayb9998

Re: SOGEA and DLM
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »

This is router stats my minimum guaranteed line speed is 52.2mb and should be getting alot more than that my speeds should be capped at 80mbs

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Go to the usual BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test page and then enter the Broadband circuit Service ID as explained, highlighted in red, on that page.

You will have to ask Sky for the relevant ID, if you do not already know it.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Jayb9998

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »

Ok so got to ring sky they'll have do sort that out with all analogue phone lines getting switched off in 2025 thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 02:26:34 PM »

The BT Wholesale test wouldn't tell you if the line was banded even if it wasn't a SOGEA line.

The BT Wholesale test only works on lines provided by BT Wholesale which Sky don't use

The BT Wholesale test doesn't tell you if a line is banded anyway. It just gives an IP Profile.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »

Just to note:

With that attenuation (~450m) I would not anticipate anywhere near 80 Mbps unless you are fortunate to exist in an area with little crosstalk (where FTTC takeup is low) or have vectoring - neither of this seems to apply to you on the face of it.

At 6 dB SNRM, 50 Mbps is not really slower than expected for the length. If you are on Huawei DSLAM (as opposed to ECI, which you can check here) then you could see ~10% improvement in speeds over time if the line is stable for the DLM to apply G.INP and drop the SNRM as low as 3 dB.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Jayb9998

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »

I think my line is 340m from green box as openreach guy checked I've had between 60 and 70 on this line in the past  and the speeds I'm getting are even below my minimum the speed I'm getting has not changed even a thousandth of a mb makes me think it's being kept there by I.p profile etc I'll see what happens sky told me to ring in a week if it's not improved as I need every mb I can get with 5 people in household all streaming vids at same time thanks for help

Jayb9998

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

I'm in a 100% p20 area?? Dont know if that means I'm on a good cabinet?

Jayb9998

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »

Also more info

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »

Searching on the DSL Checker will tell your cabinet (which is specially helpful if your street is covered by more than one), and then if you search for your locality on telecom trariffs it will show you a list of cabinets and respective vendors.

The 100% figure you have just refers to how much of a postcode is covered by a specific cabinet. If your postcode is 100%, then the cabinet that precedes the figure is the one that covers.

Anyway, if the vendor for your cabinet is Huawei then you could be in for an improvement if the line is stable enough - towards 60 Mbps seems likely. If it's ECI, then there could be a small gain from DLM turning off interleaving it's stable.

If they cannot get the line to exceed the minimum guarantee then you may be eligible to leave contract. But this is not an IP Profile or Banding issue - the former has nothing to do with sync speeds directly (rather influencing throughput, and is based on sync speeds) and the latter does not appear to be in play here.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:18:27 PM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

anything