Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats on a long exchange line - no cab (just yet)  (Read 814 times)

RTouris

DSLstats on a long exchange line - no cab (just yet)
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:36 PM »

Hi all,

a bit of DSL tech. insight from more experienced DSLstats users would be very much appreciated to try and hopefully troubleshoot my current setup :)

First a bit of a brief history..In an effort to optimise the cabling installation that provides the VDSL service to my premises in an appartment building I first swapped out the old problematic copper cabling that runs the full height of the building (5-storey) with UTP cat 5e. and re-routed certain bridged taps, which added a ballpark figure of 10mbps to the sync of existing (~40 y.o.) installation. So from 22mbps the line happily synced at a capped ~30mbps with headroom for more (attainables in the rates of 38mbps).

Having endured through what can only be described as bad customer service and techincal support with regards to attainable rates (C.S. would claim that the line would only carry ~25mbps) and since my (overseas) ISP phased out the previous entry-level VDSL plan of 30mbps I was somewhat forced to upgrade to a more modern 50mbps plan, yet I only saw marginal increases of about 1-2mbps. I then switched from the ISP modem/router to a ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A in bridge mode with the modified firmware to accomodate babyjumbo frames and the newer dsl_phy code which gave another little boost of about 2-3mbps to the sync.

This is when I started looking into DSLstats to try and interpret the current state of DSL affairs which got me into thinking about any further optimisations I could apply to junction boxes and end points around the premises to negate possible ill-effects inherent by the older components still present throughout..

I enclose DSLstats graphs of two scenarios for comparison purposes as seen below and hope that someone can provide some guidance with respect to what I'm seeing here (especially the fluctuations present in the SNR per Tone diagrams between the two scenarios) and what could be done to improve syncs further - if such a thing is even possible given the distance from the exchange.

scenario   #1      #2

Atten.   25.1      25.3
SNR      9.3      8.3
OP      14.3      11.8
I.D.      157      271
INP      0.5      2
Sync      30600   32000

The graphs show SNRperTone / Bitloading and QLN