Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Three 4G broadband experience  (Read 2164 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Three 4G broadband experience
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »

Not sure what to conclude so far.  First test with the SIM in the phone gave me 20meg download from upstairs.  Using the Billion router with E3372 dongle gives only just under/over 6/5meg (down/up) in the same room.   Sticking it back in the phone to double check and it gives 25/5. . . . Dongle directly in the laptop gives 7 down and 5 up.
Perhaps phone is using a different Band? Maybe phone has a better positioning and/or better internal antenna?

There don't seem to be any detailed settings or statistics available from the dongle.
UI tends to have limited statistics, perhaps even more so with MiFi and USB modems. If your firmware version has HiLink, then you should be able to use LTEWatch. Huawei E3372 is listed as compatible with LTEInspector (a different program, but using same API I guess), so it would be able to provide you with more in-depth statistics and give the option to force Band.

The dongle just shows a default profile, do you think I should be filling in the APN stuff specifically?   See screenshots ..
There should be no need to make changes to the APN.

aesmith

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »

Cheers.  The dongle doesn't belong to me so I don't want to spend too much time worrying about it, or any money of course.  LTEwatch doesn't give me anything except "A connection cannot be made" when I give the dongle's IP address.   Your suggestion about bands may well be correct, but I don't think I have any way of getting that detail out of either the dongle or the phone (Iphone SE).

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »

Sadly, I cannot really comment on the iPhone SE. I have no clue with tools are available on iOS.

As for the dongle, apparently E3372h is the version that ships with HiLink firmware (software version 22.x as opposed to 21.x with E3372s; I am under the impression that "h" denotes "HiLink" and "s" denotes "stick"). Don't take my word for it since I have done very little research on it, though what I have said mostly comes from here. I wouldn't suggest flashing it anyway seeing as it is not yours. ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and so was in direct line-of-sight with the Three mast.  Upload improved but download still as random as usual.

So that pretty much confirms that it really IS contention causing my random performance rather than the weather.

Direct line-of-sight (I can physically see the mast and am holding my phone facing it):

Early morning at home:

NOTE:  The mobile app detects carrier based on SIM1 despite the actual test using SIM2.  Quite confusing as the actual test was done on Three despite it saying O2.
Dual VDSL Zen/Plusnet connected to an i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.

aesmith

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »

I've just received my Ebay Huawei B525.  Initial test in the living room LTEwatch showed RSRP -108dBm and a download speed of 7meg.  Already nearly twice as fast as our DSL.  Moving to the spare bedroom gave -94dB and speed test of 18meg down and 6 up.  Fiddling with the aerials has improved to -90dB, raising the router up by about a foot gave -85.  That's all on Band 20 which seems to be the only one available.

I'm now onto my third free 200meg SIM.  A couple of speed tests seem to use the allowance, so I don't have a test at -90 or -85dB  However I think it's promising enough for me to think about getting a real SIM.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:03:31 PM by aesmith »

Alex Atkin UK

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 08:24:35 PM »

I've just received my Ebay Huawei B525.  Initial test in the living room LTEwatch showed RSRP -108dBm and a download speed of 7meg.  Already nearly twice as fast as our DSL.  Moving to the spare bedroom gave -94dB and speed test of 18meg down and 6 up.  Fiddling with the aerials has improved to -90dB, raising the router up by about a foot gave -85.  That's all on Band 20 which seems to be the only one available.

I'm now onto my third free 200meg SIM.  A couple of speed tests seem to use the allowance, so I don't have a test at -90 or -85dB  However I think it's promising enough for me to think about getting a real SIM.

As long as you aren't gaming I'd expect even at worst it to be comparable to DSL, on average much better.
Dual VDSL Zen/Plusnet connected to an i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »

The most I have ever gotten on Band 20 was about 20 Mbps downstream, and that only happened during an off-peak period early morning. But generally, it's single digits (as I have said too many times, so I feel like I going insane ???, though it is my choice to mention it :D).

Please be aware that the settings in the router will default to Auto for Antennas (this can be changed in the system settings). It may decide that External is better (if they are plugged in, of course) but as I discovered the other morning, I could get more downstream (at the cost of 1/2 the upstream) by using forcing Internal (though I imagine the location it was in was prime for the internal antennas); approx. 60-65 vs. 70-75 Mbps downstream even though the signal was weaker. But I haven't extensively tried it so it may have been just a fluke, and at peak times the difference may be nil anyway.

Regardless, worth testing some different configurations and positions until you find something good. Though with -85 dBm RSRP on Band 20, I'm surprised that you have no Band 3 at all. Perhaps there is something it can't penetrate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything