Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

VMG1312-B10D new Web GUI 2.0 on V5.13(AAXA.8)C0?

<< < (3/14) > >>

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: jelv on November 02, 2018, 08:38:30 PM ---Wrap it in code tags (the # button in the toolbar)

--- End quote ---

Or use [tt][/tt] tags.  ;)

tiffy:

--- Quote from: jelv on November 02, 2018, 08:38:30 PM ---Wrap it in code tags (the # button in the toolbar)

--- Code: ---$ chdir /var
$ ls
cache            log              ppp              spool
cert             mcpd_igmp.conf   ptmx             state
dhcp6s.conf      mcpd_mld.conf    public_key.pem   syslog-ng.conf
dnsmasq          mdkshell_sock    radvd_br0.conf   tmp
fuse             modules.alias    run              tx
fw               modules.dep      samba            udhcpd
group            modules.symbols  shadow           url_list
home             mount            shadow-          usb
iproute2         net-snmp         shm_size         wwan
lib              passwd           siproxd          zebra
lock             passwd-          snmpd.conf

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip, showing my ignorance of the system again.

Ref. your next post and error displayed.
Yes, I got this error also but only when trying to roll back from (AAXA.8) to (AAXA.5), had to roll back in two stages as explained earlier, have upgraded twice now from (AAXA.5) to (AAXA.8)C0 without any issues.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: tiffy on November 02, 2018, 08:42:13 PM ---The encrypted character string format looks different to me from that produced by FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.5), I'am sure b*cat can give a more informed opinion on that.

--- End quote ---

Here follows the NOTES section from the crypt manual page --

--- Quote ---NOTES
   Glibc Notes
       The glibc2 version of this function supports additional encryption algorithms.

If salt is a character string starting with the characters "$id$" followed by a string terminated by "$":

$id$salt$encrypted

then  instead of using the DES machine, id identifies the encryption method used and this then determines how the rest of the password
       string is interpreted.  The following values of id are supported:

ID  | Method
              ---------------------------------------------------------
              1   | MD5
              2a  | Blowfish (not in mainline glibc; added in some
                  | Linux distributions)
              5   | SHA-256 (since glibc 2.7)
              6   | SHA-512 (since glibc 2.7)

So $5$salt$encrypted is an SHA-256 encoded password and $6$salt$encrypted is an SHA-512 encoded one.

"salt" stands for the up to 16 characters following "$id$" in the salt.  The encrypted part of the password string is the actual  com-
       puted password.  The size of this string is fixed:

MD5     | 22 characters
       SHA-256 | 43 characters
       SHA-512 | 86 characters

The  characters  in "salt" and "encrypted" are drawn from the set [a–zA–Z0–9./].  In the MD5 and SHA implementations the entire key is
       significant (instead of only the first 8 bytes in DES).

--- End quote ---

So looking at the contents of your shadow file --

root:$6$xLQ5LS29AWQ3PFyY$xx/.yhjeBLVjz5hnZWekoEB/RyOWlOgX26gEBYML.C2D7TglGub7ibZF.1R.YVxFP5YdqDg.DxQ/FediPQ7Ip.:0::::::
supervisor:$6$ockB3m/vx9pPP0lf$BY6lRm1W9.hDMzVtDZPxdI40Oo.Wr.P.ybMrtrd4MJOwpEEFWLtO/EGjbcPsjG/ANwomEiJnBrsO.mPFh/KPH/:0::::::
admin:$6$xstsmqPExqn6Omf7$mj0Ty1xsy88MMU7FJs/5u9U9nrniZlfUGjw6CXbwIMAwnk.Pl0xBx4FYoa4UWwJS0gfeWtpigD60/IA2SbwtG.:0::::::

-- we see that the second field of each line begins with $6$. That is the "fingerprint" of SHA-512 crypt.

Let's look at the second field of the second line --

$6$ockB3m/vx9pPP0lf$BY6lRm1W9.hDMzVtDZPxdI40Oo.Wr.P.ybMrtrd4MJOwpEEFWLtO/EGjbcPsjG/ANwomEiJnBrsO.mPFh/KPH/

The segment in green is the salt and the segment in red is the encrypted (password) string.

tiffy:
@b*cat

Many thanks for the excellent explanation of the "new" crypt format, font of knowledge as always.

My previous experience obtaining the supervisor PW when running FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.5) this used MD5 (22 character format) encrypted string, it would now appear that from FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) onwards that SHA-512 (86 character format) has been adopted.

With respect to any future PW decrypt attempts using Hashcat, with a lot of help from yourself I have just about got to grips with the MD5 (22 character) format and Hashcat search command line options using different operating systems / hardware, would I be correct in assuming that a SHA-512 crypt will be more difficult / time consuming to decrypt ?

tiffy:
Having now rolled back from FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0 to V.5.13(AAXA.7) I can confirm that the location and the format of the encrypted PW's is the same as V.5.13(AAXA.8)D0, ie., /var/shadow & SHA-512 format.

For reference, have found that to get back to FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.5) from V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0, this must be done in two steps to avoid fatal error windows appearing, ie., roll back to V.5.13(AAXA.7) first.
This initial roll back does appear to "lock up" and never complete, however, on closing the browser window and re-logging have found that the migration has completed successfully.

The roll back from FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) to V.5.13(AAXA.5) does complete normally with the router re-booting and displaying the login page again.
Have completed these FW revisions "up-down" migrations twice and the results are repeatable.

The initial reason for avoiding FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) was that Busybox access was disabled, now appears to be available again on this revision !

Edit: Still hate the new (AAXA.8) GUI won't be going there.
        Apologies to meritez for appearing to take over this thread. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version