Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

VMG1312-B10D new Web GUI 2.0 on V5.13(AAXA.8)C0?

(1/14) > >>

meritez:
Hi,

anyway, just reading through the new firmware revision stuff:

Versions:
Bootbase version: V1.61 | 05/25/2018 17:08:36
Firmware version : V5.13(AAXA.8)C0
Kernel version: 3.4.11
DSL modem code version: A2pvI042r
DSL driver version: d26s
WLAN code version: 7.14.164.20.cpe4.16L05.0-kdb
3G WWAN package version: 1.18

nothing wow and came across:

Modifications in V5.13(AAXA.8)b1
Based on V5.13(AAXA.7)C0 to release V5.13(AAXA.8)b1 [Feature Modification]
5. [GUI] New GUI 2.0 design.

The GUI is actually functional, it does not take forever to do anything..

tiffy:
You may already be aware, the previous (current) FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) of 25/12/17 had to be avoided if Busybox access was required (such as running DSLStats) as this was disabled with this revision, 1312-B10D users had to stick with the previous (previous) FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.5) of 20/07/17 if running DSLStats was a requirement.

Will be interesting to see if this feature has now been re-enabled in FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.8), I do have a spare 1312-B10D where I can try the new FW out when I get some time.

--- Quote ---The GUI is actually functional, it does not take forever to do anything..
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean ref. the GUI being non-functional / slow ?
I generally find it to be just the same speed as my 1312-B10A, certainly not slow.

I did have an unusal issue with my 1312-B10D where the GUI was completely non-functional, just sat at the first page with the busy icon churning away for ever, eventually found that this was only using Win 10 with MS Edge browser combination, any other browser on Win 10 and any browser on my Win 8.1 desktop PC worked perfectly !
This is documented here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22543.msg385504.html#msg385504

Edit:  Apologies for not noticing earlier, welcome to the kitz forum

tiffy:
Decided to try out the new 1312-B10D FW, V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0 on my spare unit, not line commected.

Yes, completely different GUI appearance which I took an instant dislike to, all the same features are still there, just different access navigation, certainly not an improvement in my opinion.

Before hurriedly "trying" to get back to FW rev. V.5.13(AAXA.5) made the following observations:
Telnet/Busybox access is available.
None of my PW's had changed, still had full supervisor access.
The "passwd" file appears to no longer contain the crypted PW character strings, "cat /var/passwd" produces this:-

BusyBox v1.20.1 (2018-08-24 13:58:33 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
$ cat /var/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/false
root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
supervisor:x:12:12:supervisor:/home/supervisor:/bin/sh
admin:x:21:21:admin:/home/admin:/usr/bin/zysh

Tried to roll back FW to revision V.5.13(AAXA.5)
Warning appeared advising that some "feature may be different", OK to continue or Cancel to go back, only problem being there were no OK or Cancel links/buttons in the window, enter or escape wouldn't work either !
On aborting and re-trying the same revision, this time advised that the (same) file was now an "illegal image, failed".

Decided to try rolling back to the previous FW revision, V.5.13(AAXA.7)
Did not display any errors as such but just sat with the busy icon continually spinning, gave up after considerable waiting time and closed the window.
Much to my surprise when re-connecting, had gone back to V.5.13(AAXA.7)
Checked Telnet/Busybox access on this revision and found that this now worked, no Busybox access had been a known issue with this revision, the "passwd" file content still looked the same as V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0.

Now was able to roll back to revision V.5.13(AAXA.5) without any issues.

The new 1312-B10D GUI interface is not for me, I much prefer the existing ZyXEL GUI appearance and functionality.
There certainly appears to be some bugs associated with V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0 FW upgrading/rolling back operations.
Location of encrypted PW's appears to have changed, perhaps the PW encryption policy/method has changed ?

Edit: Typo corrected.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: tiffy on November 02, 2018, 01:19:08 PM ---The "passwd" file appears to no longer contain the crypted PW character strings, "cat /var/passwd" produces this:-

BusyBox v1.20.1 (2018-08-24 13:58:33 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
$ cat /var/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/false
root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
supervisor:x:12:12:supervisor:/home/supervisor:/bin/sh
admin:x:21:21:admin:/home/admin:/usr/bin/zysh

--- End quote ---

The x in the second field of each line indicates that a shadow file is now being used. Where will it be located? Probably in the /var/ directory, along with the passwd file.

tiffy:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on November 02, 2018, 06:05:24 PM ---The x in the second field of each line indicates that a shadow file is now being used. Where will it be located? Probably in the /var/ directory, along with the passwd file.

--- End quote ---

Ahh, something else I've learned, I would have been surprised if you had not come up with an answer !

I still have the 1312-B10D running off line but have reverted back to the original FW I was using, V.5.13(AAXA.5) as explained, the latest FW revision although enabling Busybox again still appears to be very much a "work in progress" and the GUI in my opinion is awful, much prefer the existing GUI, hope ZyXEL don't intend pushing the new GUI out to other models with FW updates.
When I get some time, I will temporarily re-load revision V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0 again and have a poke around in the file structure to see if I can find the "shadow" file you mention and report back.

Did you note that the Busybox access appeared to be enabled in FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) as reported while migrating back from V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0 towards V.5.13(AAXA.5), strange, as this was known not to be the case when this revision was released and all DSLStats users had to remain on (AAXA.5) revision ?

Also the passwd file listing in revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) is the same format as V.5.13(AAXA.8)C0, ie., neither being the same as V.5.13(AAXA.5) where the PW strings are displayed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version