Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AAISP's allowances  (Read 2374 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
AAISP's allowances
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

I really fail to understand the logic of the allowances on the home::1 packages - particularly the 300GB. The basic package has a 200GB allowance. For an extra £10 per month you get 300GB allowance and a further £5 extra per month (total £15 extra) you get 2TB.

If you use the ability to change allowance every month there is a potential for big savings. These are some examples of the of the average extra cost per month for different allowances using this (the attached image shows how it is worked out):

300GB £3.75
450GB £5
800GB £7.50
970GB £10

The one that really stands out is the 300GB where they are asking an extra £10 per month but by flipping to the 2TB one month in four it actually costs £3.75. If they increased the allowance on the £10 extra to say 750GB it would make a lot more sense (although savings could still be made by flipping)!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: AAISP's allowances
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »

At the moment I have the 2TB package from AAISP. I thought I'd actually be quite a heavy user on that. I only used 228GB last month, though, figure I am load balanced - so it would have easily been 450GB if I only had the single internet connection.

I am going to leave it another month and then probably drop to the 200GB package for a while until I am requiring more bandwidth. Already have 2.78TB quota halfway through October. If I were to go 250-300Gb a month on 200GB then that's a good number of months I could run on 200GB and then swap up to 2TB for a month or two again later on.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

It baffles me as well. Unfortunately I can't seem to change my quota each month at a press of a button. I get a message saying "to contact sales if I wish to change quota allowance". I have 2TB and 200GB (two lines bonded), and use an average of around 600GB to 700GB a month I believe at the moment.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »

TT or BT backhaul?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

I am on TT backhaul and it says in my control panel pages that if I wish to change my quota, I should contact sales.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »

Have you tried going through the order procedure starting from https://order.aa.net.uk/chaos2broadband.html ? The first question it asks is new or existing line and when I followed through I ended up with the attached.

Edit: You get to the page I linked by selecting Home::1 from the AAISP home page, then Quote/Order Home::1
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:17:07 PM by jelv »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »

I'd never thought of trying that, but yes, I get the same as you - I can regrade to 200GB via that method, or at least that's what I think I can do!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »

That is the correct way to make the change. Why finding that is so obscure I don't know - there should be a link where you found the contact sales message.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »

I have absolutely no idea what my real average usage is due to me previously having only Sky Fibre, and they don't count the usage. I'm tempted at this point to drop my AAISP to 200GB and save £15 a month and pipe all my bulk downloads through my Sky connection and rely on my AAISP for everything else. That's rather nice.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »

I'm tempted at this point to drop my AAISP to 200GB and save £15 a month and pipe all my bulk downloads through my Sky connection and rely on my AAISP for everything else.
I would if that £15 is making a difference. For most people, an extra £15 a month would be welcomed. Though for myself I could save quadruple that if I stopped buying lunch from the likes of Tesco when I'm out and about. ;D
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

anything