Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: REIN, REIN, Bloody REIN!  (Read 14114 times)

idlewilde

Re: REIN, REIN, Bloody REIN!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »

...connection dropping out and 'crashing' the sync speed sound pretty similar to me  >:D
Surely when your sync crashes your connection is dropping :hmm:

Well technically my router maintains a connection despite the SNR hitting as low as -3 - but of course this means no viable throughput is possible.
I have to manually re-sync to get a working snr / sync combination. Hence the BT stats don't show a disconnection.

My problem does seem similar to yours. The odd thing I find is that there are periods when it doesn't happen - such as a friday night. This suggests to me it is equipment belonging to one of my neighbours who likes a drink after work on a Friday. Weekends are erratic but most weekdays the problem occurs around 6 to 7pm.

I'll let you know what we find.

FWIW, I had a bit of a REIN issue recently:

10:12:33   Rx-Noise= 4   Tx-Noise= 0   Rx-Sync= 0   Tx-Sync= 0   
10:12:53   Rx-Noise= 4   Tx-Noise= 0   Rx-Sync= 0   Tx-Sync= 0   
10:13:13   Rx-Noise= -7   Tx-Noise= 0   Rx-Sync= 0   Tx-Sync= 0   
10:13:33   Rx-Noise= 0   Tx-Noise= 0   Rx-Sync= 0   Tx-Sync= 0   
10:13:53   Rx-Noise= 0   Tx-Noise= 0   Rx-Sync= 0   Tx-Sync= 0   

Just a snapshot. Yes, that says -7, and my DG834 held the connection until it came back up to something with a semblance of normality.

Mine was down to a neighbour's faulty Sky box. It took most of a small village out for weeks on end.

Gather as much info for the REIN engineer as possible. The gentlemen I worked this out with were very happy to see I had done a little bit of background work, as it really helped them.

Put it this way, if *I* got sorted out, your issue should be a walk in the park!

Hillfly

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »

Well the engineer came last night and took about 5 minutes to discover it was a house up my road emitting massive eletrical noise.

He is going to follow it up with them at a more appropriate hour and will get back to me. A top guy who was really firendly and helpful.

Delighted I was right about the cause - but slightly annoyed it has taken me a year to get BT to send the REIN engineer despite me telling them it was REIN since January!

Will let you know more when I do.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »

Well the engineer came last night and took about 5 minutes to discover it was a house up my road emitting massive eletrical noise.

He is going to follow it up with them at a more appropriate hour and will get back to me. A top guy who was really firendly and helpful.

Delighted I was right about the cause - but slightly annoyed it has taken me a year to get BT to send the REIN engineer despite me telling them it was REIN since January!

Will let you know more when I do.

Most probably a dodgy fridge/freezer, monitor, TV or boiler if it was quite a big source.

Nice to see that you have tracked the source down anyway :D

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Hillfly

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »

I'm hoping it's something that's cheap to replace like a SKy box! :(

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »

I'm hoping it's something that's cheap to replace like a SKy box! :(

Good point yea :(

Sky boxes are known to give up, so you could be in luck. Does the suspect house have a Sky dish?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Hillfly

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

Well I'm not 100% which house it is, the engineer wasn't allowed to say but it's one of three. I'll take a peek tonight to see if they have a dish!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 02:49:59 AM »

Faulty sky boxes, Faulty monitors, PIR lighting, and faulty TV/music systems seems to be the most common of late.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Hillfly

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »

Well it's been a while but we have finally nailed the issue.
A BT Rein engineer came out, suggested it was coming from somewhere in the vicinity of a some of my neighbours up the street and said he woudl sort it.

Nearly 2 months later he had done nothing so I decided to speak to the neighbours who'm I didn't know myself.
Seems they had been contacted by the Openreach engineer but he never turned up for the appointments he made with them! >:(

Anyway they were very nice and when we discussed the patterns of the intereferance we quickly concluded it was a faulty digibox - and as luck would have it they were getting a new tv in 4 weeks anyway! So problem identified and soon to be solved.

It's taken me 18months to get this sorted so it's a big relief and ironically BT did help me in the end - when I used their own motto "it's good to talk" and spoke to people directly.
I also have some new friendly neighbours too! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »

Great result all round then :clap2:
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 10:51:02 AM »

Just goes to show sometimes the bigest problems are caused by little things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:16:56 AM by BritBrat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

when we discussed the patterns of the intereferance we quickly concluded it was a faulty digibox - and as luck would have it they were getting a new tv in 4 weeks anyway!

I'm so glad you finally got it sorted -  :thumbs:
Thank you for reporting back here what it was.

Can I just ask - was it a sky digibox or freeview...   there  seems to have been a spate over the past year of sky digiboxes being the culprit for REIN as Im sure we mentioned earlier as being a possible culprit.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]