Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recent problems...what now?  (Read 2953 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Recent problems...what now?
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »

For a part of last week I had hassle connecting with the Plusnet server via Billion 8800NL, which would not respond. I made contact and at their request plugged cable in SSFP test socket. The rep would call back after I had done that.

No call came, but then I noticed message on phone to check connection. There was none, so I went back on mobile, and test showed a voice fault, which has been repaired.

The Billion still would not get a response from the server, so I'm using PN's Hub1.

With all the connects and disconnects sync has taken a hit, and the PN router is inferior too.

Does it seem the Billion could be kaput, or may it be better to wait a time and then attempt to reuse the BIllion?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Recent problems...what now?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »

. . . may it be better to wait a time and then attempt to reuse the BIllion?

I will suggest that you wait a while and make do with the Plusnet Hub, for the time being. Once the system has had some time to recover, I will suggest that you perform a full reset of the Billion 8800 and reconfigure it from its factory default settings.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

So, I'm not thinking stupidly. That's a relief ;), and it's not a sign of Billion decrepitude ;D!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

Swapping to the Billion gave sync ~3000 Kbps higher than the PN Hub, but PN tell me they are showing lower figure.
Also I cannot reach this or other sites, and on time got a strange message
Code: [Select]
windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings. I don't understand its significance nor what I need to do.

PN are asking me to connect the Hub to the SSFP's test socket, but the phone then cuts out. May that be because the phone base unit is connected to the extension socket in hall (the original test socket).

Do I perhaps need clear out every bit of Billion 8800NL from my system; How?

Any help anyone can give will be very welcome; in the simplest terms possible for the shrinking pea in my head!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »

PN are asking me to connect the Hub to the SSFP's test socket, but the phone then cuts out. May that be because the phone base unit is connected to the extension socket in hall . . .

Yes, that is expected. When checking with the device plugged into the "test socket" all other extension sockets and wiring are disconnected.

As for advice with your computer's set-up, you will need help from a member with M$ (BGW) knowledge.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »

So it looks like I shall have to move the base unit to the SSFP when using test socket, but I suppose it's but a small chore.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »

Also I cannot reach this or other sites, and on time got a strange message
windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings. I don't understand its significance nor what I need to do.

/snip/

Do I perhaps need clear out every bit of Billion 8800NL from my system; How?

Any help anyone can give will be very welcome; in the simplest terms possible for the shrinking pea in my head!

I don't know enough about this topic these days without researching further to update my knowledge, which is why I kept quiet in the hope that someone may know more...  but as nothing has been said I will add my 2p.

The proxy settings are usually set within your browser - or at least used to be when I used a web proxy many moons ago. 
Are you actually intending using a web proxy?  It may be worthwhile checking the settings in your browser.
I use FF by default and these settings can be found under
> Options
> General
> Network Proxy   (Right at the bottom)

Years ago some malware used to hook into Network Proxy, or it may just be some software that you have installed which has changed your settings.   
If your browser is expecting you to be using a proxy which isnt configured correctly then Windows Network troubleshooting will likely give you the above error message.        It won't stop your modem syncing, but it will cause difficulty browsing websites.

Apols that I really am rusty on this topic because it must be >10yrs ago since I used a proxy, and I'm only speaking up in the hope that it may give you some pointers where to look.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »

Lesley, I'll digest your post slowly, but 'no'. I don't, afaik use a proxy. :) I'll research my Chrome later.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:53:14 AM by renluop »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »

Hi

I could be wrong, but if read correctly, the proxy error only happened once, and using the billion router

I would dismiss this proxy error as it only happened once (many reasons for this error and it could be an MS diagnosis generic message)

I would leave the plusnet router in situ until all dsl errors are resolved, then factory reset billion and see how it goes

Many thanks

John

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »

iI had wondered if it had been produced by Windows' interfering busybodies.
PN thought the low sync cf. the Billion could be a fault, so sent me a replacement. That is now in situ with increase of 652 Kbps sync and 2.5 rise in SNRM, FWIW.

Brain is addling. Can't think of the DSL errors in need of resolution. :-[ ::) :'(

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »

Sync has been creeping up every couple of days, so I reckon the original Hub must have been a bad un.
Today
DSL uptime: 1 days, 17:00:55
Data rate: 4811 / 22834
Maximum data rate: 4811 / 23405
Noise margin: 5.8 / 3.8
Line attenuation: 31.1 / 26.3
Signal attenuation: 31.4 / 22.1

I'll leave it in situ a while longer, until I attempt reversion to the Billion.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 06:19:44 PM »

Tried to go back to the Billion, but it refuses to set up a wireless connection, even though I have started from scratch; router rest to factory and with me following quick install instructions. Billion works at~ 2MBps over the HomeHub 5a.

I am not too anxious to spend on a new router. However, fi needs must! Is the consensus that the Billion may be failing? II know I asked some while ago, but if the Billion is failing, what next should I consider?
The Billion was fairly easy to set up for my less techy mind than most of you, and I would not want the replacement to be much more complex.

Connectionis to a Huwaei  cab, a km distant and clobbered by crosstalk.