Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: G.Fast connection  (Read 8732 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
G.Fast connection
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »

Admin note -  I've split this off into it's own topic so as not to distract from Max's thread here

My daughter is moving house this week - not far, just practically the other side of the main road.   
Although I knew that area got g.fast last year, she didn't...  but now the move is going through she rang me up all excited.   
So it's going to be byebye Plusnet and hello to g.fast trial
I believe the order has been placed   :fingers:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:24:01 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: G.Fast connection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Hi kitz good luck to your daughter for new g.fast service with zen isp. Hope it went all well. Is she getting the maximum speed 330/50 if her cabinet are much closer as a stone throw. Don't think my area isn't getting any g.fast until late 2019/20. What about you kitz is there any g.fast available to you yet?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »

The order has only just been placed so not sure when it will go live.   I'm a bit immobile atm so cant visit to get stats. :(

No sign of anything like that around here.    Haven't even got g.inp yet  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »

Ha ha ...... isn't that how it goes, eh ....... your daughter gets it before you, bl00dy typical !!  ::) ;D

PS - was heading up your way today, but never got further than Poulton.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »

haha within waving distance. ;D
Actually DD is now much nearer your home patch now just a tad further south.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »

haha within waving distance. ;D
Actually DD is now much nearer your home patch now just a tad further south.

He he, yeah ...... I personally love it when they ship me over to your area ...... some really lovely houses I get to wander around under the guise of 'Looking for other extension sockets'. lol.  ;) ;D ;D

I'm guessing DD is in a place beginning with 'R' ??  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 07:12:20 PM »

Is she getting the maximum speed 330/50 if her cabinet are much closer as a stone throw.

She doesn't have a phone no yet so can't check exactly, but just run the details through using the address.   I've looked up the cab and its about 160m on google maps. So 237-269 Mbps according to BTw's checker.  Despite her not moving far it's put her on a different exchange that has had Zen LLU for a while.

Attached
[1] Checker results
[2] PCP and cab from google maps
[3] PCP now
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »

That's interested Kitz. Those stats are probably will be the same for my cabinet if the g.fast went live. I think it probably will be around 220/30 from 80/20 as my cabinet approx 248m away.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:20:08 PM by adslmax »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »

It'll be interesting to get some real world stats and at least check on its connection speed/stability.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »

Found out today that there may be a delay of a few weeks. Not sure of the exact problem other than a rather vague 'awaiting some hardware'. 
Her exchange is definitely one of the listed pilot exchanges.   

----
ETA.   Just found this.

We should caveat the above by saying that some ISPs are seeing a few delays with the G.fast work and so commercial product launches may be put back further into 2018.
:(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:48:29 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 11:52:22 PM »

Thanks kitz. Is it normal for BTW to show up G. Fast on checker even thought the cabinet isn't fitted any G. Fast pod yet. Nothing yet. I thought btw wouldn't updated on the checker until G. Fast pod has installed first and ready for service as planned. Last time I spoken to openreach they say my cabinet will be ready around summer 2018 for G. Fast.

I think there's some delays even if the checker is showing as available.  My daughter is on one of the trial exchanges and pod in place,  yet there are still delays.   Admittedly I'm trying to read between lines here [pun intended], but I think may also have to do with ISP provisioning as I believe they will be one of the first residential g.fast.
Despite Zen having a presence in that particular exchange, I think they may be waiting on BTw to provision in this case rather than using the standard FTTC GEA cable-link.  I'm getting this info 3rd hand so it may not be strictly correct, other than in this instance the SP appears to be wanting to use using BTw rather than their usual GEA FTTC cable link.    She's been in the new property now for a couple of weeks and they still don't have any broadband...  but the latest info is that hopefully it should be live in the next few weeks.    Haven't got an exact date yet but it is meant to be very soon {2 weeks}..   and will obviously depend on one of them being able to take time off work for installation.

It's a shame MDWS is no longer live as I was going to try get over and set up on of my modems. 
Using the powers of charm I recently picked up a new VMG8924 for me in return for a charity donation.. which means when I get around to it*,  my faithful VMG8324 will be my spare.. leaving me a VMG1312 which I was going to give to my daughter to set up monitoring.     However that said, they are not the type of people who would leave a PC on all day just to monitor stats.     I will try get over asap, but right now until I get pain management more under control, my fear is that I may not be able to get there and back in one day, yet I have a poorly cat who needs 2x daily meds and cant go without his meds, so I can't stay over.   

As far as g.fast monitoring of live data that will be extremely difficult.   The Openreach modems are locked and afaik there is currently only one consumer g.fast modem/router (ASUS) which aren't cheap. :/

---
* I've got so many things now hooked up to my network, that it would be no mean feat swapping all my prefs and configs over to a new modem
-----

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:34 AM »

they are not the type of people who would leave a PC on all day just to monitor stats

Would they consider a Raspberry Pi? It could be powered from USB, if a free port is available.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 01:17:20 AM »

In a word .. No.  :(

My daughter has no geek tendencies other than uploading photography and her own site stuff.  As long as she has her music and other hobbiest things she's happy and tends to rely on me when it comes to broadband and PC's.   
Her OH is geeky to an extent but more concerned about actually using the connection rather than how it works..  and although you'd be surprised if you knew where he works,  he just isn't into stats and the intricacies of dsl.
-----

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »

I can understand that completely. My OH has NO interest in technology!

The only reason I mentioned the Pi was that VNC server is baked into the software, so it would give access to DSLstats on the Pi to anyone with the right permissions, even remotely. You could then monitor their line yourself (if that was what was wanted by all concerned).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
G.Fast connection
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

My daughter is in a pilot area and still not live.  Beginning to suspect the issue is/was capacity/supply at the ISP/BTw side rather than Openreach. 

I haven't looked into it in great depth but it appears the SP needs to purchase a separate GEA cablelink for g.fast (ie cant use the same FTTC cablelink).  So the SP has 2 options - purchase their own cable link (GEA for 'LLU' SPs) or use BTw for WBMC/WBC and purchase a host link.     

Bearing in mind she lives in a area that is well covered by the SP 'LLU' and will be their only g.fast customer on that exchange (in fact afaik they will be their first residential g.fast) then the SP appears to have opted to use BTw for g.fast rather than their own GEA cablelink like they do for FTTC..  so add on additional time whilst they get either a host-link or their own MSIL.  What I don't know is if they will be using WBC or WBMC - I suppose it depends on what they project for future customer requirements - on reflection probably WBMC as they already use that in some areas.

Anyhow I was there yesterday when they found out the order could now be placed with Openreach  (yay but nay!)...  which is a bit of a bummer as her partner had a week of work last week and can't take time off over the next couple of weeks for the installation.  As he said, if only he'd known a few days ago and it could have been booked for last week when he was off.   So still waiting, but now until its convenient to get time off work.  ??? 
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything