Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'd like a new faceplate, is the NTE5c Mk4 to be installed by Openreach only?  (Read 11833 times)

Berk

Hi all,

Following a few days of intermittent time out issues my ISP has suggested fitting a new faceplate. I've had one each of ADSLnation's and Clarity faceplates in the past, but my ADSLnation faceplate currently AWOL, presumed lost so I need something new to test.

I just found the NTE5c plates for sale and wondered if these are supposed to be installed by Openreach engineers only since it involves touching the wires on their side of the socket? or can any qualified telephone engineer do it? or are end users allowed to install them now since they're tool-less?

I assume it will be £100andsomething+VAT for Openreach, so if that is the only 'legal' maybe it would be better to just go for a regular NTE faceplate, in which case is there a best version of these to look for?

Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen

You couldn't pay me to swap from an NTE5A to an NTE5C.
It (the NTE5C) is very poorly made compared to its predecessor

On the older NTE5A the components are properly soldered into place.
In the NTE5C the components are "clicked" into place.

I recommend using an NTE5A in combination with an OpenReach MK3 SSFP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen

I recommend using an NTE5A in combination with an OpenReach MK3 SSFP.

it's just a shame they end up sticking out the wall so much.
if you're unlucky that master socket is in the middle of wall then it's very bad to look at and is very easy to knock it when walking past it.

very bad design where you end up just putting things on top of existing sockets.

daveesh1

• Reg Member

I have swapped mine only because BT fitted a new line as part of a trial I was doing. It's given me 2.5Mb increase on download but upload stayed the same.

renluop

• Kitizen

Hi all,

Following a few days of intermittent time out issues my ISP has suggested fitting a new faceplate. I've had one each of ADSLnation's and Clarity faceplates in the past, but my ADSLnation faceplate currently AWOL, presumed lost so I need something new to test.

I just found the NTE5c plates for sale and wondered if these are supposed to be installed by Openreach engineers only since it involves touching the wires on their side of the socket? or can any qualified telephone engineer do it? or are end users allowed to install them now since they're tool-less?

I assume it will be £100andsomething+VAT for Openreach, so if that is the only 'legal' maybe it would be better to just go for a regular NTE faceplate, in which case is there a best version of these to look for?

Thanks
OP's  crux query, I'd say, concerns the aspect I have coloured, and whatever SSFP the answer to that would be identical. I leave it to the inteligensia here to respond to that, but legal or not, I paid ~ £40 all in to an ex BT man.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

I think it fair to say that Openreach don't have very accurate records as to which type of faceplate is fitted where.
As such, as long as the one at the master socket point is an official BT/Openreach version, and the fitting of it is to a reasonable standard, then you would be highly unlikely to encounter any  issues.

I would also go for an NTE5A as the quality of construction is superior to the 5C.
Both the NTE5A and the MK3 filters are still available at reasonable prices on eBay.
Examples:
NTE5A - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Master-Socket-NTE5a-Openreach-Phone-Line-Brand-New-NTE/263707663036
MK3 SSFP - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-MK3-FILTER-NTE5a-MASTER-FACEPLATE-SOCKET-BT-Openreach/153063991552
NTE5A and MK3 SSFP - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-original-packaging-Genuine-Openreach-MK3-Filter-NTE5a-Tel-Socket-screws/263761384538

Admitted the 5C is available cheaper but I think the extra would be well spent.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything

If you're reasonably competent at wiring (there only two - and it'll make no difference if they're reversed), then there would be no problem in fitting a 5C.
However, I'd echo what tubaman and others have said - stick with the 5A and get an SSFP Mk3.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Berk

Thank for all the replies on this. I haven't ordered anything yet, but I am now leaning toward sticking with the NTE5 with Mk3 faceplate.

I was waiting for my ISP to reply re the official price of a call out with fitting of NTE5c, but my query has been ignored. An interesting customer service choice by the ISP since we're just out of contract...

I have swapped mine... ...2.5Mb increase on download but...
While trying to skim through comments about the new design I have seen a handful of remarks that marginal speed increases occur in some cases, but perhaps more significantly there are comments about fewer errors.

Fewer errors would be a boon, we're rural enough that interent connections in our area have always been low quality.

You couldn't pay me to swap from an NTE5A to an NTE5C... ...I recommend using an NTE5A in combination with an OpenReach MK3 SSFP.
it's just a shame they end up sticking out the wall so much...
This is an annoyance, our master socket is in a bedroom and the overall room layout means we need/want a chest of draws in the corner so that it opens onto the socket. A real PITA and I already have a chock of wood wedged into the corner to prevent anyone pushing the chest of drawers up so far it would smash the socket.

Since I am leaning toward getting the Mk3 I guess I will be looking for something else to fill the space and push the drawers further out.

OP's  crux query...
I think it fair to say that Openreach don't have very accurate records as to which type of faceplate is fitted where...
If you're reasonably competent at wiring...
I'm pretty sure I could wire myself without issue, there's just that teeny tiny nagging doubt from comments I've read before that if something goes wrong it's possible to trip or blow stuff in the street cabinet or at the exchange. Maybe it's just scaremongering to put people off, but I can't say I know for sure.

Disappointingly I can't find anyone in my local trade ads so far and the idea of £120+ for Openreach to do such a trivial thing really grates, so all considerations are pointing toward the Mk3, despite the potentially improved connection stability that may be offered by the Mk4.

Thank again everyone for the advice.

renluop

• Kitizen

You may find suitable people under other specialities e.g. TV, digital, electrical, cabling.
The one I found in Checkatrade dealt with TV Aerials, but was ex BT.

licquorice

• Reg Member

Since I am leaning toward getting the Mk3 I guess I will be looking for something else to fill the space and push the drawers further out.
I'm pretty sure I could wire myself without issue, there's just that teeny tiny nagging doubt from comments I've read before that if something goes wrong it's possible to trip or blow stuff in the street cabinet or at the exchange. Maybe it's just scaremongering to put people off, but I can't say I know for sure.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of you doing anything to the street cabinet (unless you connect the socket to the mains!!!)

chenks

• Kitizen

I have swapped mine only because BT fitted a new line as part of a trial I was doing. It's given me 2.5Mb increase on download but upload stayed the same.

swapped it with what? a mk3 or mk4 ?

j0hn

• Kitizen

Any increase anyone has seen from an NTE5C over an NTE5A has been from the engineer correcting a poorly terminated wire or fixing some other problem.

I can assure you it is not from the NTE5C being a better performing master socket.

They essentially have the same internals.
On 1 design they are soldered and on the other they are clicked in place, what do you suppose would perform better?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of you doing anything to the street cabinet (unless you connect the socket to the mains!!!)
@Berk  As an ex BT escapee (I believe @liquorice is too), I can confirm that no damage can possibly be done, even if you short the wires.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Berk

@Berk  As an ex BT escapee (I believe @liquorice is too), I can confirm that no damage can possibly be done, even if you short the wires.

Thanks for the reassurance, I feel sure I could do it without problem but I'll try the simpler faceplate change first since there is a general consensus that the NTE5 + Mk3 is the least hassle and higher quality.

Now I realised I need a new lower faceplate for the Mk3 as I've no clue where the original is, so:

Kauden vs Pressac

Is there any difference in quality between these socket manufacturers? I can get the Kauden NTE5 master socket locally, but many of the ads online promote "genuine Pressac" or "original Pressac"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:47:16 PM by Berk »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member

Will this work on an ECI cabinet...... I jest of course  ;D
Pages: [1] 2