Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Speed issues with AAISP  (Read 21628 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Speed issues with AAISP
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »

Hi

I think care is needed now and no knee jerk changes made.  You have changed the speed tester so that it is reporting less speed than what it was so if the TT network improves you can't compares figures.  You may have even changed the tester so it is under reporting speeds now so it is still broken and any data collected with it before the change is now null and void.  Urrgh.

I think you have a fair point, but it was over reporting the speed. I think any tests will be checking more than just this one speed test, I came to the AA tester late on, but had already realised the Uno tester (same tester) was giving over inflated results.  You can never go by just the one test, and A&A are making direct comparisons between BT lines, TalkTalk lines on the new network, and TalkTalk lines moved back to the old network.  We've all definitely confirmed regardless of the raw number reported, that TalkTalk lines on the new work are running slower than they should be.

Regards

Phil

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »

I think care is needed now and no knee jerk changes made.  You have changed the speed tester so that it is reporting less speed than what it was so if the TT network improves you can't compares figures.  You may have even changed the tester so it is under reporting speeds now so it is still broken and any data collected with it before the change is now null and void.  Urrgh.

Oh, indeed - the speed tester is just an indication of the speed. We don't report a fault on the bases of results from speed testers - more work is needed to actually test the throughput of a line. Hence the posts above about downloads via bittorrent etc to try to fill the link, and then to compare that to what our own CQM graphs show. :-)
A&A

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »

Also, I was wondering if it was worth having a longer test, so there is now a 5 minute download test at
  http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/graph5.html
That is worth trying to see if speed changed as time goes on.

That's going to gobble up a lot of someone's allowance! (around 3GB?). A two or three minute test would probably suffice in most cases.

Could you have a box for the user to enter the number of minutes to run the test for?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »

That's going to gobble up a lot of someone's allowance! (around 3GB?). A two or three minute test would probably suffice in most cases.

Could you have a box for the user to enter the number of minutes to run the test for?

I'll give free top-up upon receipt of results :-)
A&A

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »

Happy for BT lines too - it makes a good comparison.
Done - don't bother topping up mine - I don't need it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »

So the author of the us was not helping matters when he included not only http+tcp+ipv6 but also ethernet, and the factors need to be different for ipv6 and ipv4 and depend on whether timestamps are enabled or not and on the MTU very slightly.
For MTU = 1500
L3+L4+OptionsTCP/IP header efficiency
IPv6+TCP+time stamps0.9520000
IPv6+TCP0.9600000
IPv4+TCP+time stamps0.9653333
IPv4+TCP0.9733333

So in this case you want (1/the_above * http_factor), ie whatever is being used for http overhead, but I would imagine that is possibly negligible. However, assuming it is just too much of a pain to find out which is the case for the link in question, then I would simply use the 1/0.9520 figure for IPv6 with timestamps as it will be right for an ever increasing number of customers and we can fairly assume AA users anyway.

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2018, 02:42:42 PM »

Some good news. TalkTalk have been doing some tests and changes on my home line as part of their investigations.

This is what we're looking for when looking at our CQM graphs of traffic:

https://imagebin.ca/v/47dpn502JjwS

A constant download of lots of http and torrents at 75.2M (sync is a bit below 76M), filling the link (red line at bottom)

iperf alone gives me 71.9 when I was getting 67.4 yesterday.

The change TT have made has only been applied to this one line, I'll update this post when the change has been made across the board.
A&A

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »

It looks like this has been fixed, we'd appreciate any feedback

TalkTalk have rolled out a change to the "overhead accounting mode in use for VDSL customers." Customers can now try reconnecting (restart PPP or reboot the router), and try speed tests and downloads.
A&A

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »

Hi Andrew

Tested without re-establishing PPP and same result with cap at 69Mbps, disconnected and immediately reconnected PPP and success, Thinkbroadband reports 75.1Mbps, back to normal.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1530802264782102955

Although some congestion given the single threaded test is lower, but then given the time of day.

Your own speed test is reporting 77.59Mbps, so still seems to over report.

Many thanks for sorting this out, should help push the old average speeds up for the marketing as well.

Regards

Phil

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »

On the AA speed test you might need to force a complete reload of the page to not use a previously cached version of some of the scripts (CTRL+F5).

jdigz777

• Just arrived
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »

Hi Andrew

Tested without re-establishing PPP and same result with cap at 69Mbps, disconnected and immediately reconnected PPP and success, Thinkbroadband reports 75.1Mbps, back to normal.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1530802264782102955

Although some congestion given the single threaded test is lower, but then given the time of day.

Many thanks for sorting this out, should help push the old average speeds up for the marketing as well.

Regards

Phil

Phil,

As an uno customer did you not contact them regarding this? Even after I suggested to you just to provide them more details to pass to TT as they were already in the process of doing. I think uno deserve some credit here considering they have been trying to have this issue sorted with TT since mid may when it originally happened.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2018, 05:17:53 PM »

I think this thread shows that AAISP seemed to ignore customers early complaints and Uno took them more seriously.
However Uno have been at Talktalk about this since mid May and AAISP get talktalk to fix it within 48 hours.

It even fixed things for Uno lines.

What credit do Uno deserve for that? None imo.

Well done to AAISP here. Shame about the poor CS in the first place though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »

Looks to be all back to normal to me - getting over the 72mb mark now.

Cheers Andrew @ AAISP for seeing this one over the line!
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

orange4

• Just arrived
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »

I think this thread shows that AAISP seemed to ignore customers early complaints and Uno took them more seriously.
However Uno have been at Talktalk about this since mid May and AAISP get talktalk to fix it within 48 hours.

It even fixed things for Uno lines.

What credit do Uno deserve for that? None imo.

Well done to AAISP here. Shame about the poor CS in the first place though.

We dont actually know the timeline and events of this problem behind the scenes, so we cannot say with certainty either way....

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2018, 06:43:03 PM »

AAISP contacted Talktalk about this on the 3rd, fix was tested today on AAISP Andrews home line, then rolled out to all lines within an hour. It's all in this thread if you read the whole thing.

What other timeline do you need? Uno's 6 weeks failing to fix the problem is irrelevant.

poor CS by AAISP, great at getting the problem fixed with 2 days.

great CS by Uno, but unable to fix the issue within 6 weeks.

edit: big chunk of credit needs to go to the Kitz community as a whole. Without this thread the issue would likely still exist.

pat yourselves on the back folks  :dance: :yay: :thumbs: :drink:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:51:30 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10