Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RF frequent offenders  (Read 2115 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
RF frequent offenders
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »

On various other threads I was asking about RF sources and frequencies. [That's something I had never looked into before, either lacking the facilities or because it was too inconvenient and I lacked the stamina.]

I got some good tips about where to find broadcast BBC and commercial radio stations and this seems to be the category that most sources come under. Others kinds of sources seen around here are (2) things to do with airports and nautical or marine safety transmissions, and a vague possibility that I recently might have picked (3) a ‘type of equipment’ in this case a possible ‘fish finder’ unit. That list might be comparatively empty compared to what someone would see in civilisation and who had more neighbouring human activity.

I could only find out any info about non-broadcast station source frequencies by good old googling and guesswork.

I wonder if we could put together a list based on all our stats and the holes / spikes therein? That would save a lot of time and wheel-reinvention for us all and others. What do you think?

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: RF frequent offenders
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »

We have persistent interference from an electric fence.  I don't know how one would characterise that, unless something can be deduced from HLOG or other plots.  The symptom is one or two CRC errors per pulse which a bit slower than once per second.   It's very distinct on the BT guys test gear as it gives an audible signal each pulse.  I wasn't able to pick it up on an AM radio.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »

I would presume an electric fence is a fairly (whatever that means) wide band thing as it's just like a step function.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:53:37 PM by Weaver »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »

I wasn't able to pick it up on an AM radio.

ISTR when I had a fence it was more prominent on LW.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »

I take it that the error correction mechanism comes in too often and so produces too many gaps for Weaver ? 

It would be possible to design a receiver for each and every source of interference to cancel itself out in the data channel ( including the electric fence case) but it sounds like a major piece of equipment,  computer controlled  with a fair acreage of aerials . 

anything