Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can someone with knowledge just look at these stats?  (Read 3187 times)

gs1norwich

Can someone with knowledge just look at these stats?
« on: May 18, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »

Hi guy`s,
it has been a while since ive been on here,You guy`s sorted me out with my BT hell 6 or so months ago,And im still thankfull for all your help.

I have a quick question if i may..
Its for a friend,not me but i know you guys are adsl gods lol

Ive been connected a week and a half now, i was syncing at about 15000/dn and 1300/up, and i was told that within the first week i would get put on upload+ (2500) if my line could handle it. I put my stats in a thread on their forum and some guy told me to ask to be put on fastpath and i would get at least 19000/dn.

I did, and they sent a message back after a wee while saying they had put me on it, it must have been that same day my upload speed rose to 2000, but my download dropped about 1/2000. When i asked about this a memeber of staff said it was becuase i was on Annex M now for the fast upload speed and i would see a decrease in speed. I said i knew that, but surely being put on fastpath to recieve around 20Mb i wouldn't have dropped that much. Nobody has replied!

Here's my stats plugged in the test socket if anybody can help (its only been up 16 hours, the bloody thing keeps disconnecting me and i have to switch the router off and on).

Uptime: 0 days, 16:36:37
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex M US 56
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,936 / 14,200
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 71.40 / 1.71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 23.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 22,344 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 602 / 13,218
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 772 / 10,590

Is there anything immeadiately obvious about his router stats that suggests a problem?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Can someone with knowledge just look at these stats?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »

That must be a Be Pro connection since theres only Be* that does Annex M, rather than Annex A.
Annex M works by shifting the adsl frequencies so that a larger band of frequencies are available for the upstream... but the downside is that theres less available frequencies for the downstream - hence the lower downstream speed.

For the length of time the connection has been up (16 hours), theres seems to be a lot of errors. 
Although saying that I have a ST585 supplied by Be, which doesnt seem to be resetting the error count, so Im unsure if those figures are actually correct... and its doubtful in view of the amount of errored seconds that those errors have only occured in the past 16 hours. :/

For a 23.5dB atten line, yes you would expect to receive around 19000 kbps (on average) if it was on Annex A and if Interleaving has been removed.  Its because the line has been put on Annex M that the downstream has been decreased.

Be will quite happily move the line back to Annex A if he requests this via a ticket, but it will mean that he wont get the higher upstream.. so therefore its up to your friend to decide which is more important to him - the upstream or the downstream.

Interleaving is a separate issue, so if he does request going back on AnnexA , he should state that he wishes interleaving to remain off.

One other thing he could try is asking for a lower target SNR profile (3dB), but based on the figures shown in the stats..  I wouldnt recommend it, since theres some LoS...  but knowing the possible problem with the ST not resetting errors, then I have no real indication of when this may have occured.

Obviously he should also try all the usual stuff to make sure his line is in best possible condition.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gs1norwich

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply Kitz :D
I will pass on the information to him and let him decide which he wants,higher downstream or higher upstream,
I love this forum,Kitz you are a legend!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with all the info i need!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »

>> Thanks for the reply Kitz
>> ... / so much for taking the time to reply with all the info i need

Youre welcome :)

>> I love this forum,Kitz you are a legend!

I'd be very much lost without all the other guys/regs who also put a lot of time into the forums.
Together we all make a great team and everyone's contribution is much valued. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »

Chris

gs1norwich

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »

A sort of update/follow up question...

The errors he recieved were all in 16 hours,they had reset last night when he had to reset the router yet again to get a connection. and since then he has amassed loads more errors.

Would this indicate a problem with the BE box? I know another friend who`s box gave up and died after less then 1 month after signing up with them!

Or is it 1 of these niggly problems that could be a million a 1 things?

Thanks once again for taking the time to read this  ;) Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly aprecciated

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »

Errors I'm afraid like snr is one of those things with too many possible causes. I've never worked on the type of service you have so I don't know  in what context the amount of errors over what time period is good or bad.

However if you do get errors then as long as their spread evenly over time rather than springing up in clusters is better. and trying to resolve error issues should approached just like snr issues. errors and snr are 2 sides of the same coin. snr is the measure of the actual noise, errors are the measure of the effect the noise has just had on the bit of the signal you want.

gs1norwich

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

Thanks Ezzer fot the reply  ;)

It is actually my friend who is having this trouble with BE,
Ive been looking around and it seems some BE users have been reporting trouble over the last few days,Hopefully its just down to BE having problems and the service will go back to "normal" over the next few days.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »

Just a thought... is the bebox getting too hot? Has it got enough ventilation etc. or is it stood in a draft of hot air from his PC.

I have propped mine up (actually on its wireless aerial!!) which I did shortly after getting connected to Be. I found that I was having to reboot the router every day or two, and sometimes even shorter intervals, to re-establish the connection.

Might be worth a thought?
Chris