Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Intermittent router connection  (Read 1974 times)

figgis41

• Just arrived
Intermittent router connection
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

Hi all,,, this is my first post on here, although i have followed allot of the advice on this site and on computer active.
the problem is when im on line or downloading the activity light on my netgear dg834 router stops flashing and the speed of the download drops from about 750kbs to 20-30kbs for about 30 seconds then starts to rise again, when surfing the net the pages will open very quickly, then all of a sudden stop for about 30 seconds then start to load up again,,, i understand its loseing sync and have asked karoo to lower my profile from a 7meg to a 6 meg to see if this helps,,, it made it a bit better but still loses sync. im on karoo max option3 and the line length is around 3km from the exchange,,, i have also reset the mtu so i get 100% of the packets sent as shown on here. I have good filters on all sockets and had another master socket put in for my broadband and use cat 5 cables, the router is approx 1meter away from the socket,,, can you please look at the stats and see if it looks ok to you,,,, thank you,,,,,,,,, Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
Re: Intermittent router connection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »

I would suggest monitoring your SNR to see if the router is losing sync when this drops. I can recommend RouterStats free software: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

I used to use a Netgear DG834 and moved to a Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 which has transformed my connection - see the link below for details...

If you want to stick with the Netgear make sure you've got the latest firmware installed which seems to improve the situation for some.

anything