Computers & Hardware > Android & other hand held devices

Having huge issues with old tablet

(1/3) > >>

broadstairs:
Don't know if this frustrates others as well. I have an old Android 10in tablet which has not been updated beyond V4 by Samsung. It is soooo sloooow and all the apps keep saying 'not compatible'. I decided that it was worth a try as my other one is broken, but I give up. What happened to compatiblility?

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on April 21, 2018, 08:15:48 PM ---What happened to compatiblility?

--- End quote ---

Just not fashionable, too much bother, these days.   I was brought up on mainframes then later, Unix.  Backwards compatibility was never negotiable, things just had to carry on working.  And if you were writing something new, you’d make efforts to ensure it would run, as far as possible, on older systems too.

I’ll now offend nearly everybody by saying I do actually blame the open source community for the modern attitudes.  Trouble is, “open” means “open”, nobody to enforce any rules.  So developers get to do whatever is the most fun, rather than what’s best for users.   And the constraints of backwards compatibility are never much fun, so simply ignored.

Apple (I know you won’t appreciate this comment) actually do try.   If I build an App for iOS 9, then the fact is was built for iOS 9 is burned into the binary.   If, at some later version, they decide that black is white and white is black, they can and do check versionung, and strive to make the run time libraries adapt, so my old App continues to run.   But then, iOS is of Unix heritage, not Linux.    :)

Also, if I update an old iOS App, maybe one that I released for, say, iOS 9, with new features that depend upon iOS 11, then the new App supercedes the old day in the App store, and will only be available to iOS 11 devices.   But I can configure that the old App version remains (semi invisibile) in the App store, so it will be installed if an iOS 9 device requests a download.

Ronski:
If its a Samsung tablet you may be able to install a later custom rom.

I've just updated the wife's Samsung S3 Mini to Android 7.1 using Lineage OS  :)

jelv:
Everything these days is coded to standards - retrospectively. They just code whatever they like and then designate it as a standard! >:(

broadstairs:
Yes having been used to mainframes where everything HAD to be compatible nowadays it has simply gone out of the window.

I was thinking of having a go at that Ronski however that OS does not as far as I can tell support my oold Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I did not do anything yet as I hoped it would be OK to use while we were away (again), it was just useable but only just. My other thing in doing this is that it will have to be done using Linux not Windows and most of the guides I've seen use Windows so I will have to convert to using Heimdall if possible. Actually just checked and looks like my GT-P5110 is on the list now for OS16 in Lineage however that is a way off I think.

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version