Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some Firefox users can’t watch 4K videos on YouTube  (Read 3726 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Some Firefox users can’t watch 4K videos on YouTube
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/some-firefox-users-cant-watch-4k-videos-on-youtube/

Ultra-high-definition content has been gaining prominence these past couple of years, with Netflix, YouTube and many other video services bolstering their content to include 4K resolution. Unfortunately, some Firefox users aren’t getting this option, with the browser capping them at 1080p and in rarer occasions 1440p.

While the issue was brought up by KitGuru’s senior editor Leo Waldock, one of the first notes regarding the problem can be traced to 2015 on Mozilla’s own support page. True enough, YouTube’s increasingly popular 4K option could not be found when using Firefox, but appeared for the very same videos when utilising a rival browser.

Firstly, users are instructed to open a new tab and place about:config in the address bar. A warning message appears after clicking enter, explaining that changing settings can be harmful but the process is simple enough to click “I accept the risk!” without worry. Next, type media into the search bar (not the address bar) and navigate to media.mediasource.webm.enabled. Double click or right click this option to ensure that it is enabled.

This was broke for me when I checked. I enabled the setting they mention and now its working again.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Some Firefox users can’t watch 4K videos on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »

Thanks for that. Mine was set to false and I have been having problems with video on FF so will give it a go.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655