Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Package Upgrade  (Read 367 times)

art37

FTTP Package Upgrade
« on: May 01, 2024, 05:13:18 PM »

I am looking at upgrading my FTTP package. My present ISP has been very good for the past 2 years. If I upgrade my ISP will require me to takeout a new 12 month contract (fair enough), but it will not offer me the discount it offers to new customers.

As my insurers are not allowed to price discriminate against existing customers, I just wonder how long it will be before ISPs are required to follow similar rules of fairness?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP Package Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 05:17:08 PM »

Sounds like a good idea but not sure the ISPs will agree.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

art37

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 08:14:42 PM »

I am sure that insurers didn’t agree but change was forced upon them by the sector Regulator.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 12:48:56 AM »

Ofcom seem to be a bit hesitant to impose things the providers will not agree to, although they are nowhere near as bad as Ofgem.

Regulation is inconsistent as you have pointed out, even within Ofcom its inconsistent as an example they recently stopped the practice of not removing cost of phones from mobile phone tariffs that included a device, but it still took them many years to do that.  They had the chance to do something when they were consulting on the in contract price increases, but they decided to do a light touch change which was to prevent increases based on a unknown future number such as future inflation but providers are still allowed to impose fix cost increases.

For as long as they allow in contract increases I think there is no chance they will forbid this kind of discrimination.  Ofcom arguably may actually want consumers to be constantly switching ISPs as they can then consider that evidence of a competitive marketplace.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:51:27 AM by Chrysalis »

art37

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 09:14:02 AM »

You are probably right, but given that most of the middle ground ISPs now charge £55/month for a 1GB FTTP service there is not much competition apart from new subscriber offers such as a free router.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 10:16:38 AM »

I am looking at upgrading my FTTP package. My present ISP has been very good for the past 2 years. If I upgrade my ISP will require me to takeout a new 12 month contract (fair enough), but it will not offer me the discount it offers to new customers.

As my insurers are not allowed to price discriminate against existing customers, I just wonder how long it will be before ISPs are required to follow similar rules of fairness?

Tell them your leaving! Unless you get the better price, and see what that does. ;) ;) :D :D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 12:38:48 PM »

Sounds like you need a better ISP, name and shame.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 03:09:33 PM »

Certainly with BT I've found that if you get through to the Retentions department they can offer better deals than Sales can.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything