Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 86910 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »

MyDSLWebStats (MDWS) is closing down on Monday 12th March 2018

It is with some regret that I have to announce the closure of MyDSLWebstats. There are many reasons behind this but it's mostly due to the fact that it's taken over my life to the extent that it is about to become a victim of its own success as it's just proving too much for me to cope with. The server is also showing signs of overload recently with a rapidly increasing user base and would likely need a rewrite to get over this. I also have increasing difficulty coding/concentrating these days now I'm 73.

Another major problem is the looming implementation of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) on May 25th. Since I am advised that even as an individual I hold sufficient data on everyone Registered as using MDWS to come under its umbrella, I just don't have the resources or effort needed at my age to get involved in meeting the many requirements it enforces or face the possible penalties it imposes so all that data has to go.

MDWS started as a pure experiment in 2014 with no idea if it was even feasible but it eventually was up and running with a lot of unpaid effort from all those involved (BaldEagle1, roseway, Ronski and tbailey2). We have since lost contact with one of the founding contributors (BaldEagle1) who wrote HG612 Modem Stats which now runs unsupported, which has put more pressure on roseway  when changes are needed to DSLStats.

So on Monday 12th March 2018 MDWS will become unavailable. If anyone wants a refund of any recent donation(s) they made I can do so on request but please do so quickly. Please cancel any standing orders related to donations and you will need to stop uploading by the cessation date else you will just be wasting your bandwidth.

MDWS is no longer accepting Donations or new Registrations as of today.

Thanks for your support over the years and hope the facility was useful to you.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »

@tbailey2 I would like to request a refund please. All the best for your healthy future.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:24:09 PM by adslmax »

dgilbert2

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »

I am really sorry to read about the decision to close MDWS, but it is understandable.

I wish you well and thanks for the short time I was able to use your service.

Best of health to you.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

I want to pass on thanks for providing the service over the years.  I will certainly miss it.

If anyone wants to provide a similar service I would consider donating.

I will miss the 24h overview graph, the all user stats page and the historic archive of snrm, sync speeds, errorred seconds and attenuation the most.

I guess everyone will be increasing the number of days and frequency dslstats keeps snapshots for now but it will not come close to keeping minute by minute data.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:40:29 PM by ktz392837 »

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »

I’m sorry to hear that you’re shutting down MDWS but totally understand your decision.

Thank you for the service you have provided and please enjoy your retirement.

All the best

Kevin

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »

@tbailey2 I would like to request a refund please. All the best for your healthy future.
Hardly a recent donation. DONATION. It was never a paid service.

Thanks for all your hard work Tony.

MDWS is no longer accepting Donations or new Registrations as of today.

No way to send a wee thank you donation?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »

I will split this off into a separate topic so that is easier to spot and keeps comments about closure of MDWS in one place.
The old thread can still be found here.

I would like to thank Tony for all his hard work and effort into creating MDWS.  Together with input from Eric (DSLstats) and BE1 & Ronski (HG612_modem_stats) for getting their own programs working seamlessly with MDWS the project was a huge success.

However the huge amount of unpaid time and effort into getting this working has perhaps been under estimated by some and I have no doubt that a few have become over demanding in their requests for features and queries.  Yet throughout Tony has tried to be accommodating and IMHO done an excellent job.

Whilst I too shall miss MDWS I fully understand Tony's reasoning behind this.  GDPR is going to be a headache for certain sectors which retain personal data. It is going to affect communities and charities.  I too was a bit worried how it would affect this site, but since the only 'personal data' stored is email addresses and because those are never used for marketing my interpretation is that normal forums are OK.   If not then the new regulations will destroy an awful lot of sites, forums and blogs. :(
It will likely impact the likes of TBB who keep speed test results to location, so not sure how they are going to deal with it.

Unfortunately I don't see anyone wishing to take over responsibility for GDPR on MDWS unless they are willing to designate someone responsible for that side of things too.  :(

Thank you Tony for what you have done and wishing you all the best for the future. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »

Hardly a recent donation. DONATION. It was never a paid service.

I saw the original post before the edit and must admit my eyes widened when I saw first saw it!  :o
Some people have used the service far more than others and I'm glad that the particular post was edited to actually wish Tony the best for the future.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »

>>> Thank you Tony for what you have done and wishing you all the best for the future.

Seconded. :)
  Eric

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »

Many thanks Tony for all your work.

all the best for the future!

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »

Thank you Tony.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »

Does anyone know why MDWS was going to be so impacted by GDPR?  I thought it only really had an email address that is perhaps personally identifiable what else could be causing the issues?

Adslmax i dont know how to say what i want to say but here goes anyway could I suggest you post more information on why you need a refund (eg it could be you just donated again etc)?  I was surprised when I read your original reply especially as I get the uniformed impression you should have already got plenty  value from all but the most recent donations?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:23:51 PM by ktz392837 »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »

Tony

Thanks for all the hard work over the years. If it was a consideration, I might be able to sort the GDPR having just done this for two organisations much more complicated with marketing data etc

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »

Thank you Tony. :)
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »

I honestly don't know as it seems a bit of a minefield, but I believe Tony has looked into it and asked for professional advice,  it does affect MDWS on several counts and it would be time consuming to ensure that he complied.

I could be wrong (possibly am as I no expert) but off the top of my head these could be some of the areas.
-Info viewable by others
-ISP info
-Use of Geo Location
-Storage and security of running own server

There's also something else which I can envisage being problematic for some site/forum owners and that's to do with subscriptions, so if you run a forum and you have member sectors based on those who may have donated to obtain a different status. Anyone who takes subscriptions could be affected. 

---

At first I was thinking it me affect me because even though I don't use mailing lists,  I store email addresses for log-on info.   But if they go that far then half of the internet is going to end up shutting down.   There's millions of forums that require this info, what about blog sites too?  What about IP addresses?  all servers store this data.  All forum/blogs etc use IP data so that bans can be placed.    I think if GDPR goes to that extent then they will have destroyed the internet to all but the big corporate sites who can afford to employ data controllers.   :(

---
ETA
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted.

It looks like g3uiss may have a much better idea than me.

-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything