Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Newb needs skillz

<< < (3/3)

SqueasyCheesyPeaz:
Sorry guys, I meant to say ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A, not the 8924.

Can anybody recommend any router/modem combo units? My ISP sent me a list of Openreach Approved VDSL Modem/Routers (MCT), but this list doesn't include anything by Asus, Billion, or TP-Link, all of which seem to be quite popular. Should I be looking for something with a BCM chipset? Are there any particular models people can recommend?

--- Quote from: j0hn on October 15, 2017, 06:14:55 PM ---Personally I prefer a 2 box setup. It lets me reboot/tweak/etc the router without dropping the xDSL circuit and upsetting DLM.

--- End quote ---

What's DLM?

smf22:
Both the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A (Wireless N) and VMG8924-B10A (Wireless AC) are combination modem/routers and are on the Openreach Approved VDSL Modem/Routers (MCT) list. I use the VMG8924-B10A as a modem and it works very well on my line; certainly far better than the Draytek Vigor130 it replaced. I don't have experience of it as a router as I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in a two box setup for the same reason as j0hn, but it looks to be a perfectly capable router. Also with the ZyXel devices you get access to the command line making it easier to monitor and manage than products from some other vendors.

--- Quote from: SqueasyCheesyPeaz on October 16, 2017, 01:17:10 PM ---What's DLM?

--- End quote ---

See the Kitz page Dynamic Line Management (DLM) System for the details.

LordSven:
Welcome! I have found the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A to be a very stable combination modem/router. It gave me a 17Mb/s improvement on my BT HomeHub 5A, at least 11Mb/s improvement over the Huawei HG612 modem combined with a Fritz!Box AVM7390 or AVM7490 as router only and is much more stable with vastly fewer errors (for reliable connection) on my relatively long (between 550m and 600m from the street cabinet) and noisy line than the Fritz!Box AVM7390 or AVM7490 as combination modem/router. I have had problems connecting the VMG8924-B10A to IPv6 but no problem with 'traditional' IPv4. Other people seem to connect to IPv6 with no issues. The wireless is perfectly adequate for my 3 bedroom house. I bought mine used for less than £55 on an infamous auction site including delivery.

SqueasyCheesyPeaz:
Thanks guys. I now have some chipset related questions...

* What is the difference between the VMG1312-B10A and the VMG1312-B10B? - Does the B model have the same BCM 63168 chipset as the A? How do they differ?
* Staying on the ZyXEL's - Does the the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A have the same BCM 63168 chipset as the VMG1312-B10A?
* Hypothetically lets say I have a separate modem and router. Should both devices have the same type of chipset for maximum 'compatibility' or is the type of chipset just a matter for the modem? I.e. Would there be any advantage in having a modem AND a router with a Broadcom 63168 chipset, for example?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version