Chat > Chit Chat

Uber banned from london

<< < (7/8) > >>

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: parkdale on September 24, 2017, 04:01:12 PM ---The only thing that i'm concerned about is TAX evasion,  >:D, they generate lots of profit but again pay very little tax.

--- End quote ---

Ha ha .... the thoughts of yester-year. We operate in a very different world in which I was brought up in. There are no scruples anymore, and anyone thinking 'Truth & Justice' will prevail, is an avid reader of Marvel comics.

We live in a time where 'Cash is king' .......... forget the regulatory bodies, they are but a mere inconvenience ...... if YOU really order a taxi and you're first thought is, "Do they pay TAX ???" .... well, you must be living in a utopian village that movie-directors dream of.

This is real-world stuff, it goes on in big cities. 

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: Black Sheep on September 24, 2017, 06:13:54 PM ---Ha ha .... the thoughts of yester-year. We operate in a very different world in which I was brought up in. There are no scruples anymore, and anyone thinking 'Truth & Justice' will prevail, is an avid reader of Marvel comics.

We live in a time where 'Cash is king' .......... forget the regulatory bodies, they are but a mere inconvenience ...... if YOU really order a taxi and you're first thought is, "Do they pay TAX ???" .... well, you must be living in a utopian village that movie-directors dream of.

This is real-world stuff, it goes on in big cities.

--- End quote ---

Yes you may well be right on that but it is a sad indictment of today's modern world. It does not make it a better place....

Stuart

kitz:
I recalled a friend of mine saying she worked for them when they launched in her city, then I didnt hear much more.... so I sent her a message to ask why she quit after just a few days. This is what she said:

--- Quote ---Money wasn't worth it. It's something you do if you don't have a job or to make extra crash on the side. It's wear and tear on the car, unknown asshole customers, and not worth it if you have a better than minimum wage job. And yes, Uber drivers have attacked customers and vice versa. You just need a licence and a less than 10 year old car that passed inspection to drive. That's it. No background check or anything. Great job for sex offenders.
--- End quote ---

Chrysalis:
Maybe uber had lower requirements when they first launched?

I found this article showing high claimed figures of attacks/rapes from taxi drivers, however this is from taxi drivers as a whole not specific to uber.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html

This article mentions a number from uber (a lot lower than the number in the first article). 32 drivers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1198856/more-than-1000-cabbies-have-been-charged-with-violent-and-sex-attacks-in-just-five-years-across-uk-sun-probe-finds-2/

Obviously this is sourced from the press which means it can be speculated figures, but it doesnt indicate uber is any worse than non uber taxi services, but of course I agree these events shouldnt be happening whether its uber or any other taxi service.

Articles state as I said earlier its the councils that vet drivers.

shadow4dog:
Opinions on Uber seem to be very polarised.

I've not had great experience in general with taxi companies in the past, including a sexual assault by one driver on my friend, and when I've used Uber they've been as good as the better taxi companies I've used.

I can't wait to see the evidence that's presented to the court. It'll be an interesting few months, that's for sure.

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version