Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Time for a new router?  (Read 1453 times)

OldTimer

Time for a new router?
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »

Hi,

I receive my BT Infinity via a link up between a HG612 and a Billion 7800DXL. The two boxes have served me well for several years, but truth to tell I'm wondering whether it's time to look for a single box to do the job for which the HG612/Billion 7800DXL have been required up till now.

Current speeds achievable with my present setup vary between 29-37 Mbps Download, around 7.5 Upload.

Before I went over to Fibre some years ago I was able to employ DSL Stats to check the various performance statistics, but I have not enjoyed the full benefit of that delightful piece of software since I have been using Infinity.

I haven't got loads of money to throw at this, so some of the more expensive routers would be out of my range, but as a fairly objective assessment, is there anything out there that might be an improvement on what I have presently got? My 7800DXL has been reliable, so if the newer models are as reliable I wouldn't mind another Billion, but another make might be equally as good, or even better.

As a guide something around £100 (even a few pounds more) might be reachable.

OT

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Time for a new router?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »

I don't try and impose any Modem/Router manufacturer on people what I've found the BCM63168 chipset will out perform the old HG612 BCM6368 chipset, so there is quite a few BCM63168 all in one units to choose from the Billion to ZyXEL

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:40 PM »

My usual response is to suggest reading just the very first post of this thread and then to research the various ZyXEL devices.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »

I concur with NewtronStar on the BCM chipsets.  I find that a BCM63168 will give me about 4-5Mb higher sync than a BCM6368.  This is the case when comparing an HG612 with both of my Zyxels (8924 and 1312) and also my Technicolor TG589vac(V2).

As burakkucat has said it's worth looking at the Zyxel units.  If you don't mind second-hand there are some real bargains to be found on ebay if you are patient. My VMG8924 was just over £20 and I have a VMG3925 en-route that was a similar price.
 :)

Edited to add - I'm typing this whilst on holiday in the Peak District on a connection that's running at about 0.4Mb/s.
I'd forgotten what a luxury a decent connection is as it's a bit painful at this speed. :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:31:23 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A