Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Extend G.fast Pilot to 1 Million UK Premises

<< < (2/5) > >>

KIAB:

--- Quote from: skyeci on August 17, 2017, 12:59:32 PM ---Some cabs in combe down, Bath already have the pods on the pcp's so just waiting to see when/what is offered. (Family members cab, not mine)

--- End quote ---

BNE enginer was fixing G.Fast pod to my cab at Bathampton at 6pm couple of evenings ago, but cabinet other end of village will need to be reshelled before it gets one I think.
Spotted G.Fast pods all around Bath, Upper Weston,Bathwick,etc, but they still haven't done cab 46 on Warminster Road,junction of North Road yet.

And there another cabinet on the Warminster Road, junction of Claverton Hill, going that way tomorrow, so I will see if that has a G.Fast pod on it.

Chrysalis:
I got a theory that g.fast areas may get vectoring on vdsl2.

I have three reasons for this.

1 - in this video vdsl optimisation is mentioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpk2dz6nBQ
2 - consider g.fast is vectoring enabled, and openreach plan to make it share vdsl2 frequencies with vdsl2, but if vdsl2 lines remain unvectored then g.fast will get crosstalk related issues on that set of frequencies.  Vectoring vdsl2 lines I assume would solve that problem.
3 - in the video its stated if an existing provider via SLU has enabled vectoring (on vdsl2) then g.fast is a no go, because cannot have 2 vectoring's running, this also suggests that vectoring will be enabled on vdsl2 frequencies.

Thoughts?

Also it looks like the horrible pppoe will be ditched, which should remove mtu issues and lower cpu utilisation as well in routers.

Also this may interest ignition as me and him have had discussions in the past related to capacity of backhaul vs burst speed of customer.
BT was asked in the above linked video is there enough capacity in the backhaul between cabinet and exchange for g.fast.
Answer was basically currently is 2.5gbit on the cabinet, in his opinion not enough (eye opener right?) which is backhaul more than 5x burst speed per customer, he then said the capability is there (not sure if he meant with existing laid fibre to aggregation point as we know BT over provisioned it for future use), for 40 x 10gbit worth of backhaul (400gbit), so seems openreach have a different idea to virgin media on what is sufficient backhaul to supply a node.  This should ease any contention concerns in my opinion, at least on the openreach side of the exchange anyway.

j0hn:
It doesn't work like that unfortunately.
The vectoring unit would need to be connected to both DSLAMs.
Vectored VDSL2 would probably cause more crosstalk for G.Fast than unvectored with the higher speeds/higher power levels that vectoring allows.

As always OpenReach will do their own thing. Any shared frequency will have psd shaping like the shared frequency between ADSL/VDSL2.

j0hn:
I just watched that entire video. From what I just watched it sounds like it isn't possible to deploy G.Fast where VDSL2 vectoring is already in place. Note the questions from the guy from WarwickNet who have their own DSLAMs with vectoring. The speaker says it can't be rolled out to those locations. He confirms that cross vendor vectoring isn't gong to happen.

I love the question from Adrian @ AAISP asking if G.Fast will come with the ridiculous SFI visits. He was just brushed off.

Chrysalis:
yeah was funny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version