Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Extend G.fast Pilot to 1 Million UK Premises

<< < (5/5)

niemand:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on September 27, 2017, 06:42:25 AM ---I got a theory that g.fast areas may get vectoring on vdsl2.

I have three reasons for this.

1 - in this video vdsl optimisation is mentioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpk2dz6nBQ

--- End quote ---

I strongly recommend exercising caution rather than taking this as gospel. Aside from things changing, which they have, Neil McRae is not an Openreach guy, he works for TS&O. He presents everything to UKNOF, his most recent presentation was on EE, and for obvious reasons no-one can be an expert in everything.

My most recent interactions with him involved him claiming that cable and PON 'couldn't be more different', they are extremely similar, and him quoting science fiction movie lines at me in between promising that he/they would change the laws of physics to deal with homes a distance from the node.

I note him saying that FTTP availability would get much better in the next couple of years... well it's a couple of years since that presentation and for all his actions if you aren't in a BDUK area coverage is pretty sparse.

His general philosophy is that whatever BT do is amazing, he is always happy to take credit for it, and if it's not being done by BT it's no good.  ;D

Black Sheep:
Stop picking on my Uncle Neil !!!  ;D

niemand:
You've not had many dealings with him, have you?  ;)

It's an... experience.  :baby:

WWWombat:

--- Quote from: Ignitionnet on October 04, 2017, 11:14:15 AM ---I note him saying that FTTP availability would get much better in the next couple of years... well it's a couple of years since that presentation and for all his actions if you aren't in a BDUK area coverage is pretty sparse.

--- End quote ---

In one essence, things have improved.... the beancounters approved a rollout of 2m up to 2020.

We all know that's the biggest hurdle. As B4RN would tell us, the rest is just a matter of JFDI.

--- Quote from: Ignitionnet on October 04, 2017, 02:59:39 PM ---It's an... experience.  :baby:

--- End quote ---

hehe

niemand:
Just wanted to add something to this: those are not exchanges mentioned in the pilots, they are NGA headends.

Hunslet is a standalone exchange. It's parent to nothing besides itself. Lofthouse Gate, however, is parent of Lofthouse Gate and Rothwell, and cabinets off the Rothwell exchange are being upgraded.

I am happy to claim some credit for the Hunslet exchange being a part of the pilot, and I've very little doubt that VM having permits in to build FTTP to Rothwell and Robin Hood, both served by the Rothwell exchange, and having a combination of HFC infill in progress with FTTP extension in Lofthouse, served by Lofthouse Gate, helped nudge that guy up the list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version