Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Global Warming May Stop  (Read 5038 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Global Warming May Stop
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »

Scientists say Global Warming may stop for about the next ten years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/30/eaclimate130.xml

Does that mean that the extra taxes the government have conned out of us as Green Taxes have worked and if so do we not have to pay anymore for ten years.  :no:

How many more 'experts' are going to tell us one thing then change their minds a few years later?

dave

jabns

• Reg Member
Re: Global Warming May Stop
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »

I think the government only hears what the scientists say when it means they can fleece people of their money.

That's one good thing about being 17 and a student, I currently have no taxes to pay  :P.

Having said that I will be driving soon(I dread to think what petrol prices will rise to)  :( .

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »

Oh the green taxes are a total waste of time. Take "public transport" as an example - or rather don't because none exists outside London and therein lies the problem. Privately owned transport companies will continue to price fares as high as possible - just below the cost of driving - so no significant change in behaviour will occur.

The variability/uncertainties they refer to aren't anything new, but the UK media is only interested in sensationalism and finding their daily hate figure so most of you won't realise this has been discussed for years and what the Telegraph is presenting as "fact" is in reality wild speculation. There's a certain irony there I think :D

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:37:07 AM »

Privately owned transport companies will continue to price fares as high as possible - just below the cost of driving - so no significant change in behaviour will occur.

Don't get me started on that one.  Bus travel is about  a pound a mile round here.

It seems that green issues / global warming is just the latest fad that the media have decied to ram down our throats.  Remember a few years ago when the 'in fad' was food additives / E numbers?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:03:17 AM »

Don't get me started either!!  This bleep government will use any excuse to tax us to the hilt, in fact nowadays they don't even NEED an excuse.  As for climate change or global warming, I think it has happened but mostly due to natural causes....although us hoomans don't help any situation (get on me soapbox here).... however, this bleeping load of bleeps running this country take every opportunity to fleece us whilst living in the lap of luxury..... rant rant rant  >:( >:( >:(

Ok... I'll shurrup but can't help the way (and loads of others methinks) feel about this cr*p lot of ......well I'm sure you can find your own adjectives for them  ;D

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »

I won't dispute the fact that governments of all colours are absolutely useless at dealing with long term issues like climate change. But there's absolutely no doubt that global warming is happening at an unprecedented rate, and practically no doubt that human activities are a major contributor to this.

It's something which we can't afford to ignore. Sea levels look set to rise by amounts which will flood major cities all around the world. Numerous species of animals will become extinct over the next century, the polar bear for example. Major climate systems may change in ways which can have a devastating effect on some countries (as an example of this, it's quite possible that the Gulf Stream could switch off or divert, which could plunge the UK into another ice age).

None of these things are absolutely certain, and it's probably not too late to take action to avert the worst consequences, but there's precious little sign that governments anywhere in the world are doing nearly enough. I suspect that our future descendants will hate this generation for our greed and irresponsibility.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »

I suspect that our future descendants will hate this generation for our greed and irresponsibility. 

Certainly have to agree with you there... too materialistic and selfish nowadays, it's gimme gimme gimme and boy do they take  :(

Chrissie

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »

@ Chrissie @ Eric,I agree with what you have both said,just to add that in regards to the planet we are a mere speck compared to other nations,yet we are made out to be the bad guys by our government and as a result we get more taxation.Looking at China we moan about all their pollution but were quite happy to buy £3 pairs of jeans,£15 mens suits and every other cheap product known to man.
In reality,China is only doing what we did 100 years ago.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

@ Chrissie @ Eric,I agree with what you have both said,just to add that in regards to the planet we are a mere speck compared to other nations,yet we are made out to be the bad guys by our government and as a result we get more taxation.Looking at China we moan about all their pollution but were quite happy to buy £3 pairs of jeans,£15 mens suits and every other cheap product known to man.
In reality,China is only doing what we did 100 years ago. 

Have to agree with you UncelUB...... making this country out to be the worst on everything regarding global warming is totally wrong, as you say we really are a mere speck compared to others with all their pollution etc etc.  I personally feel that things will never go back to what it was and what it should be now... it's gone too far, we won't give up on being selfish and wanting what we want, when we want it.... think the human race has sealed its fate now unfortunately.  Something really dire would have to happen for things to change methinks  :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »

The way this government think is,Its ok to pollute if you pay,its ok to drive your big 4x4 if you pay.Those people who are wealthy do you honestly think putting up road tax,fuel tax etc will stop them leading their lifestyles,NO.
I liked the idea the ex chairman of Shell came up with.Cars should not be manufactured that can do less than 35 miles per gallon.Will it happen,NO.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »

There seems to have been a spate of programs on the tele of late about war technology and nuclear testing.  One thing that did occur to me is what damage was done to the planet when they did all the nuclear, H bomb etc testing back in the 50/60/70s etc.

I watched in horror as a complete pacific island was reduced to absolutely nothing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »

Sea levels look set to rise by amounts which will flood major cities all around the world.

We're almost resigned to that here (Norfolk).  The powers that be, including central government, the Broads Authority, Environment Agency, and local councils, are resigned to the fact that chunks of NE Norfolk will continue to crumble into the North Sea, and also they are prepare to let vast areas of the Broads flood if necessary.  Again a lot of it comes down to funding, the prevention of these things being far too costly.

A case in point is what's happing to the coastal village of Happisburgh (pronounced Haze-boro):

http://www.happisburgh.org.uk/

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »

Yes I read about the probable abandoning of a large chunk of the Broads. Norfolk really is in the front line here. :(
  Eric

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »

We certainly are.  Norfolk is low-lying and doesn't exactly have a lot of contours to prevent some of these natural phenomena.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »

The Register has a somewhat more technical article on this :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/a_tale_of_two_thermometers/