Announcements > News Articles

Brilliant B4RN and cretinous buffoons

<< < (3/4) > >>

niemand:
Not sure I get you here, Walter. BT route via exchanges because they've big, powered buildings with backup batteries and generators to put kit in. When you've a place like that to install kit you're unlikely to build large cabinets and supply them with mains and backup power if you don't have to.

The BT solution can be diverse once it gets to the head end but is single point of failure before that, much as the B4RN solution is single point of failure between customer and the nodal cabinet where the optics are lit. The Gigaclear and VM FTTP solutions both use powered cabinets to light the fibre and are also not resilient between customer and cabinet, they only have a redundant feed from that point on.

BT aren't providing symmetrical services because they've no need. What are they competing against in most places that requires symmetrical services? Most people on FTTP are on the 40Mb product, only 5% actually take a product higher than the 80Mb/20Mb product. There's hardly an abundant market of people craving the higher speeds. They'd be competing against their own EADs which would be crazy from their point of view.

CDS, I'm sure there is an economic case limitation. BT were contracted to pass a certain amount of properties. If the economic case didn't add up for some and they required too much subsidy I've no doubt they weren't covered. There is no distance limitation, BT's solution has longer range than the 10 or 20 km 1000Base-BX optics B4RN are using. No BDUK contract targeted ubiquitous coverage in its first wave.

Black Sheep:
That's interesting reading Ignitionet ............. not at all savvy when it comes to this side of the fence and it's good to see it put into words I can (almost) understand. Cheers.

niemand:
You are very welcome, Sir. If I can clarify anything else please let me know.

I've worked on most things broadband and networking at one level or another so hopefully can be of some use occasionally.

niemand:
This is quite timely on PON.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/bt-openreach-uk-demo-100gbps-hyperfast-fttp-consumer-broadband.html

Fair to say that for the foreseeable PON isn't going to be a problem for either capacity or troubleshooting. That split would serve the entire B4RN customer base just fine :)

WWWombat:
I was going to pop back and make some comments, but it looks like @Ignition got most of my points in.

It did look like BT were going to be able to offer symmetric gigabit package based on "just" multiplexing GPON, XGPON and NGPON2 (2.5 + 10 + 40 down, 1+4+10 up). Having a 100/40 variant just adds more icing.

I also saw that Nokia had been doing a 10/10 XGS-PON variant. ie symmetric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version