Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Study – Mobile Broadband Still More Popular than Risky Public Wi-Fi  (Read 882 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Study – Mobile Broadband Still More Popular than Risky Public Wi-Fi

Would you rather go online with Mobile Broadband (3G/4G) or public WiFi when outside of the home? The latest online survey of 1,516 ISPreview.co.uk readers suggests that mobile is still the most popular choice (72.1% of respondents), with security fears and fiddly sign-up forms hurting trust in WiFi.

The survey also asked whether respondents would only use a WiFi hotspot if there was a very poor or no Mobile Broadband signal and 58.2% agreed, with just 25% saying “No” and 16.6% answering with a “Maybe“.

The results mark a noticeable shift from when the same survey was first conducted two years ago. At that time 63.3% (vs 72.1% in 2016) said they preferred Mobile Broadband to Public WiFi, although “Security” (34.4%) and “Fiddly Signup Forms” (25.1%) were still top of the major gripes, just as they are again today.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Study – Mobile Broadband Still More Popular than Risky Public Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »

For once, I seem to be in the majority.    I might reluctantly use hotel WiFi because, bored in a hotel room, data usage can mount up - especially when abroad when exceeding mobile data allowance can get frighteningly expensive.   

But in other circumstances, I generally regard public WiFi as being too risky - from a privacy perspective though rather, than security - and I just don't have time to read and absorb the T&C on the signup forms.