Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: fibre modem or modem/router with no flashing lights?  (Read 1863 times)

Berk

fibre modem or modem/router with no flashing lights?
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »

I would like to get a new modem before migrating away from BT. It will be located in a guest room so ideally I would like to find a solution that either allows all lights be disabled entirely, or at least has no obnoxious flashing lights.

We have the BT Home Hub 5 Type B at moment and it is relatively inoffensive, but I believe it cannot operate in modem only mode, not even sure if it can even be reused with a new ISP either? Also, I used to have a Netgear R7000 and since using the BT HH5 I have a little regret about selling the R7000 (I felt like everything was just a little more responsive with the R7000) so I would like to go back to a modem + separate dedicated router solution.

I'm looking at the HG612 modem and the inexpensive ZyXel routers (to be used in modem mode.) Would either of those fit the no flashing lights criteria?

If not, please suggest alternatives, but I should also mention that I have a managed switch to connect my wired devices, and an AC1200 wireless access point, so there is no point in me getting a high end router/modem combo.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:39:47 PM by Berk »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: fibre modem or modem/router with no flashing lights?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »

Like you I also hate any router turning my living room into a disco. :no:

I'm using the HG612 and once you unlock it and install webgui firmware on it, there's an option in GUI to disable all LEDs which I've done so you've got no worries on that front.

Many latest standalone routers these days have an on/off LED activity switch so you will need to check if this is available on the Zyxel model you're interested or alternatively you might be able to do it via the GUI (read the router manual online first).

Generally speaking, new-ish Linksys routers are probably the least offensive as they just have a 'Linksys' logo which stays solidly lit and you can switch off ethernet port lights via the GUI. Merlin firmware installed on Asus routers also allows the LEDs to be switched off though many new Asus models have the physical on/off LED switch as well. I would probably go for the Linksys EA8500 or Asus RT-AC68U, the Linksys is superior though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »

I just checked my VMG8324, and it does have an option to switch off the lights (under Network setting --> Power management). Almost certainly, this will also apply to the VMG8924.
  Eric

Berk

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »

Thank you psychopomp1 and roseway, that's just what I was hoping for :)

re the ZyXEL - it seems like the VGM1312, VGM8324 & VGM8924 are the popular ones are at moment? If there is nothing to choose between them on the modem capability and maximising line stability then I will be steered by price at the time I order, just depends what's available.

It would be nice to get line stats as well just in case I have an issue, but I perhaps should've mentioned in the first post that I also use Linux MInt, so will I need ro run a WIndows PC for collecting the stats or is it all done on the modem/router and accessible via a web interface?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

All the regular modems and modem/routers have a GUI interface which you can access from a browser in any operating system. If you want to run one of the monitoring programs, DSLstats runs on Linux (32 bit and 64 bit), Windows and Raspberry Pi (and hopefully FreeBSD shortly); HG612_Modem_Stats is Windows only.

It should be mentioned that the HG612 GUI presents incorrect data for error rates, but the monitoring programs acquire correct data through the telnet interface.
  Eric

Berk

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »

Raspberry Pi might be ideal, I do have one which I was going to set up as a print server and if it can do double duty for this it would be the perfect thing to leave running 24/7.

anything