Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Says – We’ll Do the 10Mbps Broadband USO Without Public Funding  (Read 845 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

BT Says – We’ll Do the 10Mbps Broadband USO Without Public Funding

BT has said that the Government can avoid imposing a tricky industry levy on ISPs or using public funding to help pay for the proposed 10Mbps broadband Universal Service Obligation (USO) because they’ll take the full responsibility, as well as pushing superfast broadband (24Mbps+) to 97-98% of the UK.

Uncomfortable, that must have been how BT Group’s MD of Strategy, Sean Williams, felt after learning that he would be sitting right next to TalkTalk’s CEO, Dido Harding, and the boss of Three UK, David Dyson, during yesterday’s first House of Commons Public Bill Committee debate on the new Digital Economy Bill 2016-17. Both are arch rivals of the incumbent.

For the most part the event contained an ample supply of predictable responses, with both Harding and Dyson pushing for Openreach’s separation from BT. Meanwhile other operators’ also repeated the same positions that we’ve covered plenty of times before. Later Vodafone and Sky Broadband’s representatives would mirror Harding’s position.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: BT Says – We’ll Do the 10Mbps Broadband USO Without Public Funding
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »

As I feared, the article mentions satellite. Oh god, I hope that doesn't mean I'm a victim of being put in the don't-care 1%-cop-out category!

anything