Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My experience with FTTC DLM  (Read 2313 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
My experience with FTTC DLM
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »

I thought I would share my experience of FTTC DLM on my line.
I've had FTTC on this line for about 18 months and its always been interleaved. Originally I was hit with a high level of interleaving after using the utterly useless Asus DSL-AC68U.
Despite changing modem and being ILQ green for months my line never recovered fastpath.

After upgrading to 80/20 on July 7th my line was as expected reset to an open profile. This lasted less than 48 hours despite not breaking the ES threshold of 1440 for my standard profile.
Every single day since interleaving was reapplied on the 9th July my line has been ILQ green.
Infact ES rates have been so low I've been ILQ green for the Stable profile also, but still DLM hadn't relented.

Over the past few weeks I've been testing limiting the sync rate of my line, trying a limit of 40mb and 35mb with no luck.
Then a few days ago I went very aggressive with the sync limit and capped it at 25mb, half of my usual 50mb sync.
I woke up on Saturday to a lovely email from MDWS alerting me of a resync for "Reason: 1 Remote Defect Indicator/DLM"
To my pleasant surprise my lines finally back on fastpath  ;D It's the 1st time its ever recovered fastpath on its own.

I've upped the sync limit to 40mb and error rates seem reasonable. Hopefully it will keep interleaving off!
I'm going to increase the sync a little bit at a time to see how high I can sync without being too close to the ES threshold.
As I do a lot of online gaming I would much rather have 40mb with faster pings than 50mb with slower pings.
Nobody in the house even noticed a difference when I limited the sync to 25mb, so around 40mb isn't a problem.
As soon as my contract is up I'll be switching to an ISP that provisions on the Speed profile. Then it should be able to run uncapped on fastpath.
Anyone who's similarly stuck with interleaving might want to try something along these lines and see if it helps.

Username Minted on MDWS if anyone wants to have a look!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:57:53 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: My experience with FTTC DLM
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »

What modem are you using currently If you look at S.Step on MDWS I switched modem today and it made a huge difference to errors.

If it is a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A like MDWS says then there has been discussion on how some of the newer firmwares can be error prone on S.Step2 I have had no issues with the 1.00(AAKL.14)C0_20160408 firmware.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »

It is a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A. It had slightly lower ES rates than a HG612, with a better sync.
I upgraded to AAKL.15 last week and ES rates were roughly the same as AAKL.14
I've tried 4 or 5 different modems on my line and the Zyxel has by far been the best.
It didn't matter what modem I used though, interleaving was  stuck on my line with them all.
Over a year with a HG612, about a month with a borrowed Billion, and the last few months with a Zyxel.
It's ridiculous that I've had to half my sync to have an average of 1 ES/Hour to recover fastpath
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience.   Well done for finally getting rid of Interleaving. 

It is a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A. It had slightly lower ES rates than a HG612, with a better sync.

That is my experience too with an 8324.   FYI Im still using f/w 1.00(AAKL.6)b1.   I found it stable for my use, so never saw the need to upgrade particularly when its versions above this that wont allow more than one telnet session.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »

Next task is how to get rid of banding.  :) :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »

Now if the banding was removed and the sync is increased to 49000 kbps the errored second rate will double from 900 per day to 1800+ on fastpath so after a short stint with any extra noise on the line there is a good could chance your line will be interleaved once again as that's what is seems to prefer.

Switching ISP will not change your line noise characteristics it's there and will remain there unless something can be found as the cause of extra line noise.

anything