Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: car interior mirror  (Read 3415 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
car interior mirror
« on: April 27, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »

I'm back with another wee problem, but this time nothing to do with computers, and wonder if anyone has a solution.

My car interior rear view mirror is one of these silly ones which is simply glued onto the inside of the windscreen, and it now has a habit of falling off.

I have tried two-way stickers, super glue and industrial strength mastic but it stays on only for a day or so then off it comes again.  :'(

Is there a way to make a decent permament bond ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: car interior mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »

I would have thought that a rubbery adhesive like Evo-Stick would do it.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »

I wonder if it the residue of the old glue that is preventing adhesion. They stick the windscreen itself, these days, with silicone adhesive. Might be worth a try.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

Thank you, gentlemen for the courtesy of your speedy assistance.

If silicone adhesive is what they use "in factory" that's what I will try next.

Is scraping sufficient to remove the old residue, or would I require some sort of solvent ?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »

One of the Loctite products will stick "anything to glass"
Coincidently only last week I had to throw some away, I'd had it that many years the can had rusted away.
It comes/came as a 2 part pack, a tube of something plus a small aerosol can which was probably a fixer.

There can be problems with some "modern" car windscreens, something to do with reflectivity so not all glues will work that rely on sunlight to cure them. (Same problem that SatNavs have) the signal/suns rays bounce of the screen.

So silicone adhesive could be the quickest option, just make sure you get the clear variety.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »

Is scraping sufficient to remove the old residue, or would I require some sort of solvent ?

No - you would need to clean it properly with some glass cleaner. If you're just scraping it, there's probably loads of residue, grease and allsorts which will prevent it sticking properly.
Chris

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »

Problem could also be what the mirror support is made from, if it's ABS then any epoxy, superglue, silicone should do the trick.

If it's a Polyolefin like PP or PE (waxy feel if you shave a sliver off it will float in water, burn it it will smell of oil for PP or wax for PE) then a superglue or a typlical epoxy would only half work and fail fairly quick. You need just thw right sort of adhesive on double sided tape to work (sorry not familiar with the different types), if so make sure the glass and mirror support is warm after cleaning and resticking.

A silicone should be a ggod bet but keep the thickness of silicone between the fit and glass as thin as possible (and if you have a choice a high modulus silicone as the contact area would be quite small

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:50:51 AM »

Not much to add what the guys have said except that make sure BOTH surfaces are spotlessly clean before applying any kind of adhesive.  :)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:38:35 AM »

....and don't put your finger on it to see if its sticky enough. ;D

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »

TD,
Follow the instructions here then get a good old fashioned nut and bolt,
http://www.wikihow.com/Drill-Holes-Through-Glass

dave  :P

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »

TD,
Follow the instructions here then get a good old fashioned nut and bolt,
http://www.wikihow.com/Drill-Holes-Through-Glass

dave  :P

:D

I can imagine the state of my poor windscreen if I tried that

Thanks all, will try a few suggestions, or just use it as an excuse for the new car that I want.  ;D

Have resolved problem. Using my consummate craft as an engineer, and after taking advices from a variety of sources, I took the bold, and ultimately succesful, course of action which had until this am eluded my pontifications on the matter in hand.
Yes..............I took the thing to the local garage !

Old pad off, cleaned window using some evil smelling concoction, new pad and mirror on. Ten mimute job and one whole hour and it has not yet fallen off again  ;D

Thank you all. TD's mind is at ease again and can get on with the important matter of posting drivel in the games section.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:01:54 AM by tuftedduck »

anything