Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Sends Patent Lawyers After PC Video Gaming Giant Valve (STEAM)  (Read 1401 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
BT Sends Patent Lawyers After PC Video Gaming Giant Valve (STEAM)
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

BT Sends Patent Lawyers After PC Video Gaming Giant Valve (STEAM)

BT appears to be suing online PC video game and digital distribution giant Valve Corporation because its popular STEAM platform is alleged to “incorporate technologies invented by BT” (e.g. cloud features like Valve’s Steam Library, Steam Chat, Steam Messaging and Steam Broadcasting).

The UK operator claims in its official complaint via the Delaware District Court (USA), which was submitted at the end of July 2016, that Valve has infringed upon four of its key patents and that BT has tried and failed “on multiple occasions” to contact Valve about its related services or systems.

“Valve has derived and will continue to derive substantial value from these products and services which incorporate the patented technologies. Nonetheless, Valve has failed to respond to BT’s correspondence, at all, and chosen instead to continue to infringe the Patents-in-Suit wilfully and wantonly,” claims BT.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Sends Patent Lawyers After PC Video Gaming Giant Valve (STEAM)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »

:no: .. what a silly move.

They have no chance of winning this case. If they did win it, in a bizarre world, they would have angered all the (Steam) pc gamers in the world. That's good PR isn't it  :-[
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »

The patents in question are all vague and could apply to pretty much anything, maybe they're only going after companies that use large amounts of bandwidth :lol:

They'd win if they filed in the east Texas district :lol:

I hope it works and they get £30Billion so they can afford FTTP, then again they'd probably spend it on getting more Premiership games....

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »

good god, talk about silly use of patent laws.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »

I havent read the patents involved..  but I do agree that some of the patents recently have got silly stupid. :(
If the patents are vague, then I agree it wont do BT any favours in the gaming community.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything