Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Plastic Bags.  (Read 10627 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Plastic Bags.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »

>It's powered acid basically.<

It's the opposite actually. It is alkaline. I think Garrotta would also have contained a source of nitrogen to help get an optimal carbon/nitrogen ratio, which is the key to making good compost.

My local council collect food/garden/cardboard waste to compost industrially. Although there is the downside of having to transport the stuff I think large-scale composting produces a better product generally.

The thing that "amuses" me is to see people diligently putting their different coloured glass into different skips and then to see them all in a great mixed mountain piled up on a quayside awaiting shipping to who-knows-where.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »

I noticed this morning in town that Primark have changed to paper carriers, practically every other person was carrying one, very smart they were too.

I would love to compost my vegetable waste, but have never got the hang of it somehow, I always end up with a nasty smelly sludge

Heres a good site for everything you need to know.

http://www.recyclenow.com/

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »

You could be right Astral.  the best compost was the stuff from the bottom of the heap that didn't smell like the stuff from higher up.  Dad used to grow some super rhubarb with it. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »

We've got Tesco, Somerfield and Morrisons bags for life in the car and use them almost every week, except when the doggy poo bag supply is running low, then we do a 'shop' where the throw away bags are still free and top up our supply for the dog walking times.  What disgusts me is the people who pick up their dog's droppings because someone is looking, then chuck the bag in the hedgerow or behind the trees in the park as soon as they think it 'is clear'. The bag has a greenhouse effect and it doesn't need thinking about what happens inside of it, and the danger to wildlife.

Most plastic bags will disintegrate within a couple of years at the most and the 'lies' from our 'green government' about 100 years is a load of tosh. Have you stored anything in carrier bags and put them on top of the wardrobe a couple of years ago. If so, have a look at the bag now, there will not be much of it left.
If the 100 years thing was true, why do councils still issue bin bags to residential areas that cannot use wheelie bins?

Talking of recycling.
Printer cartridges and old mobile phones. Sorry, NO Epson carts. (Thanks for the reminder, OF)
Pop then in an envelope and add a short note that you are recycling on behalf of Motability Acc No. 705081
and address it to
The Recycling Appeal
FREEPOST NAT 1990
Falkirk
FK2 9BR

No postage necessary and you will be helping the people who depend on Motability for getting mobile, like UncleUB and myself.
Thank you.

dave
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:12:50 PM by dave.m »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »

Talking of recycling.
Printer cartridges

If you are an Epson user, you may want to check first that they (or any other organisation) accept Epson cartridges.
Unfortunately MOST organisations DO NOT accept Epson cartridges, which would then leave them with the problem and cost of disposal.

edit

I wonder if they will start a recycle plan for this little lot?

http://gizmodo.com/378713/space-is-full-of-crap
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:49:30 PM by oldfogy »

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

I buy a roll of 100 plastic bags at the pound shop to use for doggy pick ups, rather than use a great big carrier bag, it takes up much less room in the poo bin

Our council is supposed to be starting a food waste collection soon, I hope they hurry up cos I'd much rather they did the composting ;D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »

What on earth is food waste?  I heard somewhere that about one third of the food we buy ends up in the bin.  If you think about it, that means this country is throwing out enough food in one year to feed a third world country with a population of 20,000,000 for a year.  All because we buy far more than we need.  Well I live on a tight budget, so I'm well versed in only buying the food that I need.  Virtually nothing ends up in the bin. 

(I was also brought up to clear my plate at meal times, otherwise you got no afters and went hungry until next meal time.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:14:17 PM by Floydoid »

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 09:37:12 PM »

Banana skins, onion skins, egg shells, cauliflower outer leaves, stalks from broccoli, carrot heads and tails, are what I call food waste ..   anything cooked that's left over either ends up as soup or bubble and squeak .............   if you've any good recipes for any of above Floydy I'd be pleased to have them  :lol:

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »

I agree Kate, only veg peelings are food waste in this house too, being brought up in the post war era, I cannot bear waste

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

>Banana skins, onion skins, egg shells, cauliflower outer leaves, stalks from broccoli, carrot heads and tails, are what I call food waste<

Same here.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

All my fruit & veg waste I give to my neighbour - she keeps rabbits & guinea pigs.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

All this about composting kitchen waste etc is missing the point.
What is now missing in most homes is a fireplace with a coal fire where almost all scraps were dumped and incinerated.
I noticed this just recently when, eighteen months ago, we moved from a Blackpool terraced house where we had a multi-fuel stove which burnt just about anything. We move to a Parkhome whee we have central heating and just a small electric fire for cooler summer evenings but no-where to burn kitchen waste.
I replaced the kitchen units etc when we moved in but it never crossed my mind to get a kitchen sink gurgler (you know what I mean), but if I replace the sink again I will fit one.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »

All this about composting kitchen waste etc is missing the point.
What is now missing in most homes is a fireplace with a coal fire where almost all scraps were dumped and incinerated.

This also included nearly all newspapers and most cardboard which was used to start the fires to begin with, not forgetting paper made log/brick bats!

Also, most people only had one metal dustbin per household, so people had to be inventive with rubbish disposal.
Nowadays it's just too easy to fill up black bags a put them out for collection.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »

There is nothing wasted in our house because of our waste disposal.

He loves all kinds of veg (even the rabbit has left home)  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »

You feed the dog plastic bags? :o
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3