Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: blind to antisocial whiffs  (Read 1699 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
blind to antisocial whiffs
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:40 AM »

The other day I was chatting to a friend who asked how can she approach an other friend who has a BO problem. he's a great chap who gets frustraited in meeting a girl who soon suddenly looses interest. she put's it down to the BO. I said "Your both good friends, so tell him straight. you told me about a bad habit I've got. although you appologised for saying it afterwards I appreciate your telling me so I can stop it." She said she had told him- outright, but she want's to know what more can she do ? I'm stummped.

However, tonight I bumped into one of those people who when they come through the door most think "oh god". from 2m away I'm gagging (this is true and no exageration). To night I realised what the smell reminds me of. Ever bought one of those fly traps in a small cylender which you hang up and pull down to reveal a long piece of grease covered paper to which the flys are attracted to an stick and die on ?  :sick: thats the smell ! And a couple of us have realised when she moves in a particualr way, where it's comming from.  :sick:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: blind to antisocial whiffs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:00:59 AM »

If the person has been informed of the BO problem, then possibly the suggestion of accompanying them to see a doctor may be the best option, as it may just be a nervous reaction problem and by offering to accompany them to the doctors may make them feel more at ease.

Unfortunately most deodorant's do not work "long term" and all they do is to mask or cover-up the problem short-term.
With antiperspirant's on the other hand, all they do is to block the pores which then means the odour comes out from elsewhere.
The person just needs convincing that problems are and can most of the times be cured.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »

They do say that the person with these kind of problems are never aware of them.Do you/don't you tell them thats the question.Like OF this could be something to see your GP about.The thing you have to wonder is this someone who isn't that keen on personal hygene or does have medical problem.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »

I guess it depends how well you know the person of course. I think I'd still find it difficult even if I knew the person very well - and would have to wait for 'the right moment' so hopefully it wouldn't create awkwardness, and definitely while nobody else is there!

At the end of the day Ezzer, if your friend has a solid friendship with the guy, then she could explain it that she is only telling him because she is his friend. There's no way of telling how he'll take it, but even if he does take the huff, he should hopefully soon realise she didn't do it just to be horrible.

I expect if someone told me something like that, I'd be quite mortified and embarrassed, but I wouldn't hold it against the person who told me. But then, I can't totally put myself in his shoes as I know I don't have a problem... I don't think!! :-\
Chris

anything