Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TP-LINK Archer VR900 - parental controls and streaming  (Read 2183 times)

dmulv

• Just arrived
TP-LINK Archer VR900 - parental controls and streaming
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »

I've just taken received a shiny new VR900, however before I unwrap it I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm the following....

I understand that it has parental controls on it allowing you to disable Internet access from certain devices during certain time periods.

However when a device is scheduled to be disconnected, will it also drop any connections already established? For example, a streaming video on YouTube, or a Skype call?

The previous Asus router I had didn't (although it would prevent any new connections being established). After much investigation the solution turned out to be disabling NAT hardware acceleration.

Does the VR900 suffer a a similar problem, and if so is there a workaround located elsewhere in the settings?

dmulv

• Just arrived
Re: TP-LINK Archer VR900 - parental controls and streaming
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 08:25:50 AM »

To answer my own question... no it doesn't.

I unboxed it, plugged it in, then configured my phone's MAC address to lose Internet access in 10 minutes time.

I then started playing a long YouTube video on it, and 20 minutes later it was still playing :(

I stopped the video, restarted it, and it refused to play.  So in other words the restrictions were kicking in, but only on new connections.

How annoying.  Well that's getting sent back to Amazon then....  may have to go back to Asus.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TP-LINK Archer VR900 - parental controls and streaming
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything