Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Superfast Cornwall Experience  (Read 27373 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Superfast Cornwall Experience
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »

Some proper line stats would be the best way forward. 
Ive only watched one vid so far, but I see in there what appears to be a Zyxel VMG1312 varient.   

Whilst its obviously not the B10D version that uses similar f/w as the VMG8324/8924....  you may still be in luck and may be able to get full line stats out in the same way. If so then you should be able to use DSLstats/ HG612 modem stats/MDWS etc in the same way as the more familiar VMG8324/8924 etc.

I notice the freqent mention of impacted.  Impacted usually means local wiring issues.   I havent yet watched the 2nd vid and will look back on this thread again later this eve, but does a more recent test on the BTw checker show non impacted v impacted estimated speeds.

Im also concerned about you saying speeds drop if you attempt to upload.  That possibly also needs further investigation, but also clarification if its just what shows on a speed test or if you are actually dropping packets through CRC type errors.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »

Looks like a couple of 1312's uploading so might be ok.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »

Yep the VMG1312-B10D works fine.   
It looks like the OP may have a VMG1312-Bx0A.   

AFAIK the main difference between the 2 are the case and thats why Im hoping the VMG1312-Bx0A will also work. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »

I am successfully uploading from my two VMG1312-B10As.  :)
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:43 PM »

hendry I really don't think the comment about having to move to Singapore to get a decent connection does you any favours, you could have just moved to an area of Cornwall which was lucky enough to have FTTP. Let's hope you never need to own a car out there, my mate who also lives in Singapore just spent around £25,000 getting an old car on the road there, good old blighty don't seem quite so bad now.

I presume those tree's are on your parents land, if so they could cut them back so it doesn't affect the line. I also wonder what the speeds would be at the first pole on the land, it may be worth coming up with a solution to get a master socket there (shed/caravan/waterproof cabinet) and then running a network cable and phone line underground back to the house). Another option might be line bonding, you could have 1 ADSL line and 1 FTTC to keep costs down depending on what the ADSL upload speed is like it might give enough boost to help.

Take a look at Weaver on here, he lives on the Isle of Skye, about 4.5 miles from his exchange, he has to run three ADSL lines to get what he does, I think his combined upload is about 1Mbps, and the download is about 6Mbps on a good day.

Kitz, what he's saying about the internet slowing to a crawl is because when the upload is swamped it effectively slows the download as your page clicks etc struggle to get out due to the swamped upload. I used to get this problem on ADSL when my Cloud backup software used all the available upload bandwidth.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »

Having recently toured around SE Asia, with Singapore being my first stop (Then Vietnam, Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan, S. Korea, Japan and China) ….. I can tell you the city is lovely. However, incredibly expensive ……. with Hong Kong coming in a close 2nd.

Give me my 65Mbps and good old Blighty, any day.  ;) :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »

A few more comments from me

Im unsure if (FTTC) fibre would be in the ducts at the beginning of your video*.   If the A30 is carring the main backhaul it cant just branch off anywhere and  needs some sort of main junction before it can split off into smaller metwork segments.   Think of it like your router then serving various equipment in your home. 
A telephone exchange is the usual point where all the network equipment such as the FTTC/FTTP OLT (Optical Line Termination) and switches reside. 

Some info: -

Full line info isnt showing up on the BTw database, which usually indicates LLU - so could AAISP be provisioning it using TT? 

Served by Cab 2 on Cardinham which is an ECI cab provisioned Phase 9a BDUK Cornwall in April 2013   
Cardinham is a small exchange with only 2 PCPs - all the rest are EO Lines.

From info Ive tried to piece together from the cab photo in the video it looks like the FTTC cab is on the corner junction at PL30 4DB and about 1 km from  the farm.

According to my checker the total line distance is apprx 2.5 km from Cardinham exchange. 
However, Cardinham is NOT a headend exchange. BODMIN is the nearest headend exchange that has an FTTC OLT.  Therefore the fibre to your FTTC cab will directly feed back to Bodmin and not to Cardinham. 
The most likely the fibre link to your cab will go along the A38, (probably branching off at Turfdown Road) as Bodmin appears to serve as the headend for several smaller local exchanges such as Dobwalls, Liskeard etc.

*Noted that Cardinham has not yet been updated to 21CN so it may contain old 20CN ATM MiSP links to say Reading RAS which are totally inadequate for Fibre broadband traffic.
21CN - which is required for FTTC, doesnt work like that and goes through a series of Nodes with a more local MSE bRAS and then on to a WDM backhaul capable of much higher bandwidth. 
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »

Full line info isnt showing up on the BTw database, which usually indicates LLU - so could AAISP be provisioning it using TT?and not to Cardinham. 

Interesting, I thought LLU just applied to ADSL but obviously it applies to VDSL2 too.

I think the best way to go from here is if the trees shredding the line are on your land then cut them back. If they're not, then yes you'll have to involve Openreach in this somehow, probably using my scenario above. Unfortunately, as you know, there's nothing you can do about line length unless you move to a different property which either has a shorter line length or, even better, FTTP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »

Kitz, what he's saying about the internet slowing to a crawl is because when the upload is swamped it effectively slows the download as your page clicks etc struggle to get out due to the swamped upload. I used to get this problem on ADSL when my Cloud backup software used all the available upload bandwidth.

Ahh right ty, gotcha.  Wouldnt this be applicable to all (non symetrical) connections though if the upstream was sending up a load of data.
I could probably do that right now if I uploaded a full site update to my server using my 80/20 connection.   
I wonder if it may be an idea to set up some sort of QoS so that apps like of Skype get priority.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »

Yes I suppose it would, but luckily for me the cloud backup upload speed is below my upstream speed, although the speed at which that is dropping it won't be for much longer  :no:

Something doesn't seem right, he's 2.8km from the exchange on the map, and you say his line is 2.8km long then surely his ADSL estimate should be a lot higher than what the checker is giving, I'm 2.1km from my exchange and I'm sure I used to get around 11/1 on ADSL. I suppose there could be Aluminium in his line of course.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

Interesting, I thought LLU just applied to ADSL but obviously it applies to VDSL2 too.

The term 'LLU' is used loosely ie LLU provider.  In the case of full metallic path unbundling, the telephony side is still LLU.  For FTTC, VULA (Virtual Unbundled Local Access) is used. 

So for FTTC the LLU providers (ie Sky & TT) purchase a GEA cable link to hook up their LLU backhaul to the Openreach OLT.  - link

Telephony still uses the old copper E side.  Broadband only traffic goes from the FTTC cab over fibre to Openreaches OLT.. which is where the LLU provider takes over.  The non LLU providers use BT's 21CN backhaul.    Its easier to just type LLU as more people will understand.   

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »

Yes I suppose it would, but luckily for me the cloud backup upload speed is below my upstream speed, although the speed at which that is dropping it won't be for much longer  :no:

Something doesn't seem right, he's 2.8km from the exchange on the map, and you say his line is 2.8km long then surely his ADSL estimate should be a lot higher than what the checker is giving, I'm 2.1km from my exchange and I'm sure I used to get around 11/1 on ADSL. I suppose there could be Aluminium in his line of course.

hmmm I hadnt seen an updated BTw checker results, and as you say that ADSL estimate does seem rather low. 

I was looking for PCP2 and I couldnt actually see it on google maps.   However based on an image in the OPs video the post box stood out near to the FTTC cab, which is why I put its location at that particular junction.    The route from the junction appears to be fairly straight forward via one road and I cant see anywhere obvious that it could loop round.

---
ETA

Magenta says 2,973m.
So working backwards:  3km is 41dB which should give quite a bit more speed than 3Mbps
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:09:46 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »

I suppose there could be Aluminium in his line of course.

Think it may also be an idea to try get some decent line stats from the ZyXel.   If that line has been faulting a lot,  I wonder if DLM has hammered it and taken a large chunk of speed.
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »

The term 'LLU' is used loosely ie LLU provider.  In the case of full metallic path unbundling, the telephony side is still LLU.  For FTTC, VULA (Virtual Unbundled Local Access) is used. 

So for FTTC the LLU providers (ie Sky & TT) purchase a GEA cable link to hook up their LLU backhaul to the Openreach OLT.  - link

Telephony still uses the old copper E side.  Broadband only traffic goes from the FTTC cab over fibre to Openreaches OLT.. which is where the LLU provider takes over.  The non LLU providers use BT's 21CN backhaul.    Its easier to just type LLU as more people will understand.   

I see! Thanks for the explanation, kitz.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 02:58:15 AM »

I was looking for PCP2 and I couldnt actually see it on google maps.   However based on an image in the OPs video the post box stood out near to the FTTC cab, which is why I put its location at that particular junction.    The route from the junction appears to be fairly straight forward via one road and I cant see anywhere obvious that it could loop round.

Next to the DP near https://goo.gl/maps/ZkBaiNwrYH72
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:01:24 AM by gt94sss2 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything