Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line stats query  (Read 2014 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Line stats query
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »

Wonder if somebody could have a look at my line stats please (MDWS majorca72). My downstream has been banded since March but have had various DLM interventions since I changed to the 55/10 profile on April 19th, none of which removed the banding. I'm curious about the re-sync that occured in the early hours of this morning which appears to have changed nothing, however my US and DS max attain seem to have increased. The US actual also increased very slightly to max. Just curious as to why the attain speeds should be indicating higher with no apparent action taken other than a resync. Grateful for any insights.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line stats query
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

I've taken a quick look and it's fairly clear why the DLM initiated a resynchronisation event this morning . . . what isn't clear is the event giving rise to all those FECs.  :-\

One other thing caught my eye and that is the periodic ripple superimposed on your Hlog plot.

For a thorough analysis of the condition of your circuit you really need the assistance of either WWWombat (once he has returned after taking that white & black kitteh for a walk) or another of the experts.

[Edited for a grammatical correction.]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:57:54 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. The FEC errors have been there for some time now, but not immediately after G.Inp was applied on 22ndMay. I don't quite understand why they have only just caused a re-sync and why the re-sync should have stopped the FEC errors without G.INP or interleaving parameters changing. I'm probably missing something obvious.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:28:56 AM »

Interesting to see that FEC behaviour. I noticed that it didn't map onto any additional retransmission behaviour nor CRC behaviour, but there is a large burst of ES and SES on the day the FEC's started ... so something has triggered the latter two without triggering the retransmission/CRC counter.

I agree that the downstream looks banded - since the line problems in March. I note that you had a fluctuating attenuation back then, much like 2 or 3 other recent problems on here. Did you get your line fixed at this time?

As to what caused the resync yesterday? I'm wondering if it something detected on bearer 1, rather than bearer 0.

Bearer 1 suffered from problems in the same time-period that bearer 0 was throwing FECs. However, bearer 1 didn't see the same initial peak (just a relatively constant level throughout), but it certainly saw both FECs and CRCs.

Bearer 1 gets less of the framing parameters logged in MDWS, so you might need to check manually whether any of the FEC/interleaving details changed there.

Other than that, I don't see any obvious reason for triggering the resync, nor for there to be an increase in attainable speeds.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Thanks for that. The event in March just came and went without any intervention, not sure what caused it. I only look at the stats on MDWS rather than directly so wouldn't really be able to see if anything changed on Bearer1 as I don't have any previous data for reference to compare.  Could the increase in attainable be attributed directly to the FEC errors ceasing, ie more bits available for 'real' data rather than error correction.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »

Could the increase in attainable be attributed directly to the FEC errors ceasing, ie more bits available for 'real' data rather than error correction.

Hmmmm   :hmm:

Not directly. The FEC overhead is lost/wasted when there isn't any noise causing biterrors, and you don't regain the capacity for that 'real' data (which is the change that retransmission brings about - you do regain that capacity when there are no errors). It isn't regained in "actual" speed terms, and it isn't used to calculate a potential "attainable" speed either.

Indirectly, a change in the FEC framing parameters that causes a reduction in the FEC overhead can indeed improve speeds. Ordinarily, such a change would improve the "actual" speed - but if you were already at the top banded (or package) speed, then attainable would increase instead.

In  your case, the "INP" and "delay" values weren't changed by DLM, so the sync should have happened with broadly similar FEC overheads ... but we don't know enough from MDWS to show it as a fact. If the overhead dropped, then (as you are at the top of a band), the attainable would rise.

On the other hand, a 10% alteration in attainable speed would be the kind of difference I'd expect from removing FEC protection altogether. It seems a bit too big to have happened with no change to the DLM parameters.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »

Thanks once again. I guess its just another of DLM's little mysteries. Perhaps its psyching itself up to remove my banding  :fingers: :)

anything