Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problem With a Plusnet VDSL2 Circuit  (Read 6712 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Problem With a Plusnet VDSL2 Circuit
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »

hopefully, in the future you will eventually be able to look back at this and laugh!

Aye probably.   I must admit for a brief period I was thinking 'Another who works for a different ISP' hadn't set up the router correctly and he did get a bit of stick from her at first, but he swore blind that he had changed the login details, and she confirms she did give him the details.   Having earlier that morning on at least 2 occasions myself seen it revert back to mine,  and also seeing that he had even changed other things to make wifi security stronger, then I have no reason to disbelieve him.

It also seems odd that it was her login details for several months at the old property, which shows that it definitely had been changed at one time.  My bandwidth on VMBU only showed increased usage since her new connection got activated, and it was only 2 nights ago (after I went back to static IP) that neither of us could retain a connection... or more likely what was happening is we were indeed fighting each other and constantly knocking each other offline.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »

I must admit Kitz - I'm impressed you figured it all out and its one heck of a tale :)

Very odd that the router seemed to have your details stuck in the flash and even the factory reset didn't resolve it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »

If Im honest I may not have done a proper full factory reset.

Bearing in mind she has recently moved and been working full time... and it was the first chance I'd been over, things were still in boxes and we couldn't find a paperclip to reset it.  We tried pen nib but that was too thick, as were a couple of other items she brought me to try.  She came up with a pack of cocktail sticks and that it what I used..  however the pointy end snapped off after a few seconds and although there were some flashy lights Im not 100% certain if it did or not.

Prior to that the router was unresponsive with only the power light and I couldnt telnet it.   Poking with a cocktail stick seemed to bring it back to life.   My longer version of the message to Bob said the router appeared 'knacked' kindly autocorrected to 'knocked' and I said I was about to try resetting it.   Once I was able to telnet in and I had got a connection I updated the f/w and all seemed fine once I'd done that.

I gave the transcript of the texts between me and my daughter because you could see at exactly which point it dawned on me that it may be her connection which was knocking me off-line.  She was convinced when I phoned her up that 'A' had put in her details...  but I remained sceptical and why I wanted to check things out myself despite the distance.   It's the furthest Ive driven since breaking my foot and I still have unhealed grade 3 ligament damage - hence why Im paying the pain price today to the point where I had to put the air cast back on this morning to get to an appointment. 

I also dont mind sharing, because 1) it explains my absence on here for a few days when the problem first materialised... and 2) it may help someone else in the future.

I dont ever resell any routers and if they are passed on to someone else, then I usually set them up for the other person.  My daughter was moaning about wifi reception on the supplied TG582n, so when she went looking in my cupboard last year and asked if she could have 'this one' I said yep.  I warned that it needed a f/w update but that is the part that was omitted.  In fact I offered to flash it for her here, but she was in a hurry and knowing that 'A' was techy knew that he was quite capable of setting up a modem..  and thought he would also be able to flash it for her.

Hopefully it also serves as a warning to others who pass on routers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »

What a strange one Kitz!

You might have put the text exchange in to show us just when you realised what might have happened. But as soon as I saw the start of the exchange, I could see what was coming.

I have seen something that, in hindsight, was vaguely similar once, but not in the broadband sphere. An unexpected swap of hardware causing havoc.

As for *why*, I guess Bob hits it with the TR-069 reference. From what we know now, I'd say the TR-069 database needs to include entries for both devices (and the account they belong to) and entries for lines that qualify for auto-configuration. I'm guessing, but perhaps the device has always been there, associated with your account, but your daughter's old line wasn't listed. Once swapped to a new, qualified, line, then TR-069 took over.

Obviously this overrode the PPP authentication data, so I wonder if TR-069, operationally, is a BTW/Openreach matter, rather than an ISP - which, by definition, only gets involved after the PPP authentication stage.

As for the foot, I recall a phase of doctor-induced gout in my ankle that made it impossible to walk or drive. I can imagine both the agony and how it makes day-to-day living impossible. Owww.
Pages: 1 [2]