Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem With a Plusnet VDSL2 Circuit  (Read 6713 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Problem With a Plusnet VDSL2 Circuit
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »

[Moderator note: I've split the following posts off from the original thread.]

Have you discovered Google's "black hole"? Puzzling.  ???

That was the start of things to come.   It's got worse and most of the day I have no routing.  Not sure when its going to be fixed.
I may sometimes get on a gateway which will give me a connection, but after about 5 mins I will be kicked off so I'll have to be quick making this post.   It takes about 10 mins to attempt to establish PPP - thats if I do get any routing at all.

Code: [Select]
Tracing route to kitz.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk [185.24.98.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.166.130.142
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *     ^C

Should add apparently its something to do with my account - someone else with a HubOne and TR069 :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:11:17 AM by burakkucat »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Problem With a Plusnet VDSL2 Circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »

Should add apparently its something to do with my account - someone else with a HubOne and TR069 :(

The perils of incorrectly configured TR069.  :(  I hope you have the relevant Plusnet people activated . . .
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:56:44 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »

This plusnet HubOne is it working with DSLstats & HG612_Modem_stats software ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »

Kitz will not be using a Plusnet HubOne.  :no:

My understanding is that another Plusnet user, with a HubOne, that has somehow disrupted the routing for Kitz' circuit. Very peculiar.  ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »

As bcat said no I'm not using the hub one.

Not sure what's going on atm.  Contacted live chat yesterday morning who changed my password but that made things worse and I had to phone up because I'd no routing at all.  They placed an order for a line reset but I got a textext yesterday evening saying that hadn't worked.   Sent bob a message last night and he said he'll look at it when he gets in work today.

My VMBU is hilarious 430 GB this week when I know for a fact that I haven't even streamed anything this week where my usage usually comes from... and I wasn't even in one of the days I supposedly used a ton of bandwidth.  It's further complicated by the fact I got assigned a new IP a couple of days ago. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:03:04 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »

Sorry I seem to hijacked this thread.  :-[ 

[Moderator's note: That's why you have moderators . . . to try to put things right!]

All is not well here and the expected update today didn't occur.  :(

By doing multiple gateway hops I can sometimes get on a gateway which will give me partial routing (pcl-bng01).   However it doesnt last long and I still have problems with any websites that use certain google APIs.    Its hard work as it can take 10 mins to get a PPP session and if I end up on some gateways I will have no routing past plusnet. 

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\kitz>tracert 185.24.98.37

Tracing route to kitz.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk [185.24.98.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.166.130.142
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Even if I do manage to get on pcl-bng01, it doesn't last long before things go bad (5 -40 mins is typical).
As you can perhaps see below most of the internet just fails to load and pages just sit there waiting to load as I watch spinning circles in the browser window.   

I tried to make a post last night via my phone but it took me so long to make that post (plus I need my limited data allowance for something else this week) so until this gets fixed its frustrating.  I believe there are "2 BBEU's trying to access" on the one account.  Yesterday lunchtime Plusnet tried to force them to disconnect via TR-069 but that didnt work, which is why they said they were raising an order which could take longer.  I'm guessing here and the guy I spoke to said I may be correct, but we may be fighting each other and constantly knocking each other off line.   It may be why it takes me so long to get PPP.

What I cant  understand is that apparently this has been going on for a couple of weeks, but I didn't notice anything until I picked up a new static IP (was previously dynamic during a period of testing something) the night before last.   

Here is where I first noticed something wrong because I'd struggled to get PPP after attempting to pick up the new IP, then a few hours later when I'd tried to google something I realised something more was amiss. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:01:44 AM by burakkucat »
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »

I am confused what issue has kitz got?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »

I am confused what issue has kitz got?

Things should be a bit clearer now that I've split some posts off from the original thread to make this new thread, so please just re-read from the beginning.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 04:58:26 AM »

I wonder if the problem is something to do with two lines trying to use the same static IP address at the same time?

I thought that in the past, with Plusnet, people have had problems with unexpectedly high usage, and it was because they'd given away or sold their Plusnet router, with TR-069 auto-setup enabled, and then two different lines end up working fine but both using the same account details, so the usage from both lines gets recorded against one account. I think that situation is only possible if the account doesn't have a static IP address.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »

I found something out myself yesterday, whilst faulting a VDSL circuit. Only slightly related with regard to IP profile.

Star wiring had the EU synching at just 4meg. After remedial work was carried out the new synch speed was 13Meg against the PN combined Hub. Throughput however was still at circa 3.5Meg. I tried the usual hard-reset, DLM reset to no avail.
I ended up speaking with an advisor at our DCoE who confirmed that this was an issue with PN circuits only, in that the EU has to make a follow-up call to have their profile 'altered' to match the new synch speed, as it isn't an automatic process ???

Why this should be I have no idea, but one lives and one learns.

Jaggies

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:18 AM »

It is an automatic process, which like all such things, occasionally fails. Whenever a line resynchs, a Delta Report is sent to the ISP. It is this Delta Report on which PN base their Current Line Speed. I think it's about 3-5 times a day that this happens, so there can be a few hours delay between a resynch and the Current Line Speed catching up.

As regards Kitz's symptoms, it looks to me that the suggestion there is another user being assigned the same IP address would explain it. As IP address allocation is down to the ISP, PN need to find the other user or allocate a new one to one of you - job done.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:12:05 AM »

Things should be a bit clearer now that I've split some posts off from the original thread to make this new thread, so please just re-read from the beginning.

ok thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »

Problem sorted. Last night (Wed 18th) my daughter text me about something else then this is how the convo progressed

23:06 K: Sorry router is broken and I only have [mobile data] signal from the bedroom
23:07 Me: I have problems with Internet atm.  No routing to websites got an open fault with PN
23:08 K: PN say it's up but it's really not
23:09 Me: Which router?
23:09 K: TPLink
23:09 Me: Youre not using the TPlink?  [messages crossed]
23:09 K: PN say the line is active and router connected but router says no
23:09 K; It was working fine until a couple of days ago
23:10 K: Gotta go had long day.
23:10 Me: My problem also started 2 nights ago [message crossed again]
23:10 Me: OK catch up 2morrow.
23:11 Me: $*!^ [Expletive obscured]
23:11 Me: Just thought... 

....at which point I immediately phone and say [Insert other name who works for ANother ISP] did set up the router right when you moved house.  She says yes he did definitely I gave him my login details for PN.

Now bear in mind I gave her the TPlink last year and she's been using it fine at another premises using her own login for several months.  She moved a couple of weeks ago and because her new address is some distance from here, someone else set it up when Openreach installed the new line.

So I drive over today (only just got back) and at first the router seemed dead and I couldnt login to it, so I send her scratting around to find a paper-clip for pin in the hole and reset it, then start to set it up afresh and immediately spot my login details.  I change them to hers and voila she has sync but no PPP.   Scratches head I just put in her details so why are my details still in there.  I say [Another person] did download the new f/w I told him to.  She doesnt know.  I go to check the f/w version and then notice yet again MY account settings are back again.  I know damn well I just changed them to hers.  F/W version is the old pre G.INP version.. and actually the very first version BEFORE TPlink did a prior update which amended the login process.    I start to update F/w and.... in the midst of all this Bob Pullen sends me a message, brief version is

Bob "Do you know anyone called xxx?"
Me: "Yes Im there now having a look - its my daughter and Im in [city] today.  Just logging in to their router.
Bob " Should just need the PPP credentials changing. TR-069 shouldn't interfere now we've removed the details from the ACS platform."
Me  "Resetting router to manufacturers default" 
... Later...
Me "OK sorted. Installed new firmware - for some reason I kept changing login to [her login] but it kept defaulting back to [my login] and wouldn't save. I think it's now saved and connected ok.
Bob:  "I can see a connection under that account now so looking good."

So as some of you suspected it was my login in her router.  I twigged it may be last night, but had to wait until today to drive over there.
It had worked fine with her login details at her old address for several months, yet after she moved it seemed to default back to mine.   I notice that it had kept the new wifi settings fine that the other person had set up.   The f/w version was the test version shipped to me by TPlink and not the one which now has FTTC settings preset.

Thanks Bob Pullen today for looking further although he wouldn't have realised at that time, that I'd been at my daughters for about 5 mins and had just started looking at it myself.

Anyhow Im tired, Ive been up since 7am to drive over there today and not long been back home the drive back was horrible with hail stones battering my little car and very little visibility for parts of the M60.... and lots of roads I was unfamiliar with and had never driven down before. 
My daughter was concerned at how long the drive had taken, but since I have to be up early again tomorrow.. I need some sleep and not tested my connection properly, and have only been on this to report that I have a connection again.   Oh and somewhere in between Ive walked over 5 miles today with a knackered ankle, so I really do need my bed.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 12:34:37 AM »

@b*cat - thanks for splitting it off for me :)
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 01:35:56 AM »

@b*cat - thanks for splitting it off for me :)

Happy to help.  :)  And I am pleased to read that the problem has been resolved.

I'll say nothing more other than that, hopefully, in the future you will eventually be able to look back at this and laugh!  :-X

Pages: [1] 2