Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: weird snrm following electrical supply issues to whole estate..- connected?  (Read 1431 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats

Hi,

Well yesterday our electrical distributor had a major underground cable failure to our estate and knocked out about 25 houses for most of yesterday from the early hours. I believe new cables had to be installed in the end just off site as the fault was "down the road"

I thought maybe my modem would sync up quicker than my neighbours during the many disconnect/reconnects  of supply that we experienced throughout the day. The issue was resolved around 4pm and things seems ok but this morning I noticed my snrm had experienced a massive spike upwards which I have never seen before. I forced a resync as I wanted to see what would happen as my DS was around 6.9 when I saw it which I have never seen and this resulted in a nice gain in DS sync (about 2.5mb) which is probably the highest ds sync I have had pre g.inp before it was lost.

I wonder what caused the spike in the first place? - I have attached a snapshot of the snrm from earlier this morning, ds was up to 11.8 at one point wish I had caught that lol... The ds sync was holding around 6.9 when I saw it so I thought I would just go for a resync and risk what ever the outcome..

Perhaps we are now on a new supply cable - maybe this has contributed to something? - all our electrical and telephone lines are underground with no over heads involved right back to dp

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:22:47 AM by skyeci »

PhilipD

• Reg Member

Hi

It's probably just a general variation in cross talk, and someone who causes your line a lot of cross talk turned off their modem for some reason.

It is also possible the DSLAM has intervened with some connections during the problems slowing them down to try and achieve a stable line, which in the process has reduced some cross talk on some frequencies, making it seem you've had an improvement.

Regards

Phil

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats

Well I did get away from my worse cross talker a little way back when I had a pair swap. He caused awfull sync drops but thankfully not any more...
Perhaps my neighbours have been rebooting too much with all the trouble and given me a better connection in the mean time  ;D

anything