Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Re-sync  (Read 18451 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Re-sync
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »

There was something niggling in the back of my mind after I had seen the degraded Hlog plot from daveesh1's circuit, yesterday.

I ended up rummaging through the what-not, checking all sorts of documents (including a couple of patents, to which my attention had been drawn by Konrado5) . . . eventually I found an example, for what I was looking, in a JDSU presentation from 2011. A screen-scrape is attached below.

A crazy section in the SNRM plot and a low-frequency slump in the Hlog plot implies a loose connection. A connection that shows a significant series capacitive effect when disturbed by, say, vibration.

I would check in the pole top "coffin" and the crimped joints in the PCP, where the tie-cable pairs are joined to the D- & E-side cables.

[Edited to correct some bad grammar.]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:52:59 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »

Well done that could explain it. There is a bit more heavy traffic going past my cab at the moment due to road works in town. Well raised the fault with bt on line 24hr ago still not had a text or email and the online tracker is suggesting a fix date of Thursday 24 May.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »

Thinking about it some more, I have a vague recollection of Black Sheep mentioning that the "line disconnect plugs" in the pole-top "coffins" were prone to come loose as the lid was being closed. So much so that the manufacturer eventually modified the design . . .

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »

Thinking about it some more, I have a vague recollection of Black Sheep mentioning that the "line disconnect plugs" in the pole-top "coffins" were prone to come loose as the lid was being closed. So much so that the manufacturer eventually modified the design . . .

Almost on the money, B*Cat ...... you have an incredible memory btw.  :)

If it's a BT18C pole-top block (affectionately called a coffin block), the issue we found and still do, is that the connection modules used to bond the incoming underground (UG) feed wires to the outgoing dropwires, are a push connection on the UG side of the module.

A truly awful design IMO, and if the UG feed is anything less than 0.5mm then there is a large potential for a HR fault. Alas, the fault is so miniscule it can quite easily be missed by the PQT, DSL and Eclipse tests ............ it's simply a case of knowing this can happen and climbing the pole to check.

If it does prove to be the fault, a very simple fix is to 'crimp' s piece of 0.5mm Cab jumper wire onto the existing UG wire, and the connection should then be good. I am old-school, and will always prefer a screw terminal connection method (despite it's obvious future weak point - corrosion), over a PVC push-connection.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »

Yes black sheep you are right it is so small can be very easily passed but god it does cause havoc when it happens. Can only speak for myself but my run from house to cab is all underground. I have a inspection pit at the end of my path with a big joint in it.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »

I ended up rummaging through the what-not, checking all sorts of documents (including a couple of patents, to which my attention had been drawn by Konrado5) . . . eventually I found an example, for what I was looking, in a JDSU presentation from 2011.

Nice find.

And now that you show that, I can point to a JDSU document that has the same graph. This document was one I used a while back, when we were trying to figure out how to interpret bridge-tap distances ... but it also happens to mention other impairments shown by the Hlog and QLN graphs:
http://www.elnex.pl/product/attachment/d096f15ee037f5f693e1f7867366a54a/pl_PL/Analiza-petli-abonenckiej-SmartClass-TPS.pdf

Can only speak for myself but my run from house to cab is all underground. I have a inspection pit at the end of my path with a big joint in it.

Has anyone been rummaging in there recently?

Edit: Quick, before the grammar police arrive. No-one noticed, did they?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:38:52 PM by WWWombat »

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »

Not that I am aware off. BT engineer turned up this morning after I had gone to work luckily daughter was in so she rang me and I spoke to the engineer told him what had been happening he laughed said well it is working now not a lot I can do see you later.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »

I spoke to the engineer told him what had been happening he laughed said well it is working now not a lot I can do see you later.

Argh. You'd hope he'd at least run some tests before wandering off...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »

Argh. You'd hope he'd at least run some tests before wandering off...

If it's a broadband fault, we have no choice but to perform the mandatory 3 tests (PQT, DSL Close-out, Eclipse/Fast test).

If I said there's the worlds biggest 'drive' on compliance in all aspects of the job right now ................... believe me, I'm dramatically understating this. If any of the tests mentioned haven't been done, then the engineer better have a damned good excuse ??. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »

And now that you show that, I can point to a JDSU document that has the same graph. This document was one I used a while back, when we were trying to figure out how to interpret bridge-tap distances ... but it also happens to mention other impairments shown by the Hlog and QLN graphs:
http://www.elnex.pl/product/attachment/d096f15ee037f5f693e1f7867366a54a/pl_PL/Analiza-petli-abonenckiej-SmartClass-TPS.pdf

Now that you have mentioned it, I see that document is filed (within the doings) as Application_Note_Loop_Analysis_Using_DSL_Data.pdf  ::)

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:08 PM »

Well let's see what happens. Thanks for all your input as always. Looks like another user may have a similar issue to myself and Stuart that is Olwalh.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »

Well and off we go again this afternoon on re-sync city and SNRM all over the place. As this appears only to happen when it is warm could this be a problem in the cabinet as cable run is all underground or could it be the router getting hot. The router is as warm as it ever is.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

Mine started to go pear shaped about 10:55 and finally went completely pear shaped about 11:30 and has stayed that way on upstream, my downstream is not too bad but nowhere near as good as it should be. Be interesting to see what our problems turn out to be when we both get them sorted. Hoping mine will recover somewhat a bit later as it usually has been doing.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »

Well at one point my down was 17MBS and up was 527k. It all recovered again at around 16.45 started around 13.30. Something strange but it's just a mater of it happening when an engineer is booked. This time didn't lose landline that stayed working.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 08:13:57 AM »

Well after Friday fun and games and having DLM intervened  and given me a heavy does of interleaving both up and down this morning DLM has put me back  to fast path what's going on...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6