Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommend me a router please :)  (Read 2093 times)

xreyuk

• Reg Member
Recommend me a router please :)
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »

Hi Guys

I'm currently using a TP Link WDR3600 connected to a BT Huawei Modem. The router is starting to give up the ghost and I need a new one.

Don't need anything too flashy, but would like a similar set of features as the TP Link model. DHCP address reservation and setting custom DNS would be necessary. I need concurrent 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi, and 802.11ac would be nice (if stable, the last TP Link one I tried was awful) but can make do with 802.11n. GbE is essential.

I don't mind keeping the modem or moving to a built in modem but I currently monitor my connection using DSLStats on my NAS, and syncing with the web service mydslstats, so would like to do that with the new one.

Willing to spend up to £80ish but will go higher for a better piece of kit if it's worth it.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Recommend me a router please :)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »

If you're willing to spend a bit more then I suggest getting a 4 stream 802.11ac MuMimo router such as the Netgear R7800, Linksys EA8500, Asus AC87U or TP Link Archer C2600 to use with your HG612 modem. The wifi on these routers is excellent even on legacy 2x2 and 3x3 stream b/g/n clients. The TP Link is probably the cheapest @ £140 but If you're feeling flush then you could go for the all-in-one MuMimo routers such as netgear D7800 or TP link Archer VR2600.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »

I had the Netgear R7800 for a while and it was a really good router, really fast with its 1.7Ghz dual core cpu and the firmware is surprisingly good considering how earlier it is

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »

If you're willing to spend a bit more then I suggest getting a 4 stream 802.11ac MuMimo router such as the Netgear R7800, Linksys EA8500, Asus AC87U or TP Link Archer C2600 to use with your HG612 modem. The wifi on these routers is excellent even on legacy 2x2 and 3x3 stream b/g/n clients. The TP Link is probably the cheapest @ £140 but If you're feeling flush then you could go for the all-in-one MuMimo routers such as netgear D7800 or TP link Archer VR2600.

Thanks. I'm not sure how much I'd benefit from the MuMimo ones, I have a MacBook Pro (2015) and iPhone 6, don't think they would benefit. Suppose it might future proof me though. I'll look at those!

How long would you expect these routers to last? My previous TP link that my mum now has is about 4 years old is great, this TP Link I have now has lasted just under 2, so I've lost a bit of confidence in the brand. I did actually try one of their 802.11ac last year and found the wifi performance to be sub par.

Looking at them all, the Asus is looking the most tempting
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:04:23 AM by xreyuk »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »

I bought my Linksys EA8500 last summer and its still amongst the best routers on smallnetbuilder. I don't think any router is 'future proof' as technology is constantly changing but imho a decent 4 stream Mu Mimo router should easily give you 3-4 years of service before something significantly better crops up.

anything