Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Lost 15Mb/s in under 24hrs / 53Mb/s in 3 months  (Read 27359 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Lost 15Mb/s in under 24hrs / 53Mb/s in 3 months
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »

The season never closes. Ever.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »

The season never closes. Ever.

Unless he come round to your house and installs a free FTTP line.  :D

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »

What niggles me on a personal level is when individuals make blanket-statements about Openreach and/or their engineers (Technicians). I've worked for the company for 3 decades now, and consider myself to be an OK engineer. There are many, many more who operate in a similar vein to myself constantly running the risk and wrath of the 'Statistic management' that most companies now deploy in order to get the EU a service-level one would expect.

Now, this isn't a back-slapping exercise from me here, I'm not about things like that ....... what I am about is being annoyed when lumped under the same banner as poorly trained engineers. This isn't aimed at you Mr McClaren btw, this is a general whinge.

To be honest I don't think I've really had many bad Openreach engineers, I've had one that broke a backbox when he used the wrong screws but he was only a a newbie, other than that my rants are more directed at the directorship of BT, during the last couple of weeks with this issue, I've had two engineers and both where great, m only issue was the first one didn't understand the broadband side of things and when BT 'Retail' informed me of 'wholesale' cancelling the BB Boost engineer and sending a Phone engineer isnstead this explained it fully, however that engineer was very patient with me and run multiple tests and even changed my pair at request (not because he needed to)

The 2nd engineer (BB Boost) was also a good guy, he did seem a bit down though, he seem to talk about Openreach 'not being upto the job'....

Anyway, OR engineers are good guys, they're just limited by the network they're employed to keep connected...

I don't really wish to get much deeper into in than that as then a long and argumentative discussion will start and end with tin foil hats coming out and threads being locked and future hate towards one and other.

As far as my line goes, the ES rate on Upstream seams a bit out of sorts, so still hoping G.INP will be re-enabled soon.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »

TBH, I hope everyone gets exactly want they want.

Me ?? I'm not bothered if FTTP happens during my life-span, I'm absolutely more than content with 60+Meg on FTTC. If FTTP is akin to willy-waving in the world of DSL, the so be it ....... it holds no relevance or importance in my life, whatsoever, as I'm sure is the case with the majority of the UK's population.

The average family of four would be happy with 50+ Meg, of that I'm sure though have nothing to back it up with other than my day-to-day chats with EU's. Most people think a Meg is a prototype Russian fighter plane, anyhow. No-one is really that interested, outside the usual forums.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »

60+meg is fine for almost everyone, however FTTP removes the distance dependency so someone with a 1km also gets 60meg+ not just the people within a few hundred metres of cabinet.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

@Ignition.

Interesting times.  Are you one of the 2/3rds?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »

Yes indeed. Workmen are repairing the street ready for adoption by the council then VM will move in. The council will let them know when all is ready.

I am quite excited by what VM have planned for this year and next, too.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »

Any idea why I would be seeing FEC's on my US and my DS when only my DS has any sort of error correction enabled at present?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »

The average family of four would be happy with 50+ Meg,

50 Mbps / 4 = 12.5 Mbps per user in that household they can stream HD movies and play online games do a bit of torrent or popcorn time and watch BBC Iplayer with just 12.5 Mbps.

I agree with Blacksheep it's deffo coming to a point where people compare their sync rate and boast look at me I have 70Mbps but in reality they only use 35% of this bandwidth on a daily usage

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »

@mlmclaren.

Most lines have a small amount of RS encoding going on for the upstream. 
The 'R' Value in your lines stats will show you the amount of RS check bytes.
This means your line can correct some errors which will show as FEC.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »

Oh right, thanks for that info Kitz  :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:01 AM »

Unless you are like me and have at times 2 4K Netflix streams and the UHD BT Sports channel going all at once.

I have to load balance to achieve this, I'd say with top end current technology bandwidth requirements would be 40mbps per person.

By 2018 40mbps per person in a house I fell would be average for an optimal experience, and if 8K streams become a thing then the requirements will only continue to rise.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2016, 12:36:02 AM »

85%+ of people have zero 4k streams running ever. Basically no-one has 3 simultaneously. Seems very much a 'Because I can,' activity rather than something anyone would do with regularity. This with an entire household let alone a single person.

The average household, even on superfast, uses less than 1.5Mb/s at peak times. That's about what ISPs can provision per customer. Rising 40-60% per year. Extremely unlikely to be anywhere near 40Mb per household by 2018 let alone per person. ISPs would have to either hugely increase their charges or go bust.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:40 AM »

My only comment is to say that there are always "corner cases" for every scenario.

To give a view of my "corner case", I'll say that everything occurring "on-line" at The Cattery is done quite adequately with a synchronisation speed of 5.4/1.0 Mbps DS/US.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

anything