Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sudden sustained packet loss on one line out of three  (Read 11166 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Sudden sustained packet loss on one line out of three
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »

I wonder if someone (me) could write a program to get at clueless' live CQM data and continuously be on the look out for dripping blood, sounding an alarm in some way: sending email, an SMS or a tweet, or an alert via an SNMP trap etc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:23:56 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »

On Wednesday, the dripping blood ‘moved’ when the DSL cables from two of the wall sockets to the modems were swapped. Fair enough. So it's the case that we have a bad modem #1, sending its output now into line @a.3. Surely?

But - I put things back the way they were originally yesterday afternoon and the dripping blood is back on line @a.1 - no surprise there.

This morning I swapped out modem #1 for a known good spare. And the dripping blood continues. So we have a bad line 1. Sanity check.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 01:00:41 PM »

I've even swapped out the RJ11-Rj11 cable that was in use on line 1, just in case. No change as expected.

(Don't have any idea why Wednesday's perplexing result happened. Everything else seems to say “line1 bad” unless I'm going crackers, which is a distinct possibility.)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »

Second brain needed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

Have now even replaced the straight-through rj11-plate with a dangly microfilter straight into the test socket.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »

Andrews and Arnold have finally completed all the rule out tests that need to be done at my end. They've submitted something to BT.
===

Andrews and Arnold Ltd

BT Knowledge Based DiagnosticsAuto reload on update
Line BBEU2070004201/04/2016 14:25:02QDMNN Today 14:24:45 andy@a CLOSED COMPLETED

Problem:
The End User has a working session.
This is a BT diagnostics tool. If you need any help with understanding this please contact support. Where we go on to report a fault based on this we expect you to have answered all the questions accurately. If we are charged by BT as a result of incorrect answers we will charge you.

Today 14:25:42: No fault identified in BTW network. Do you wish to continue with further KBD diagnostics? (Note: To see the KM lite Analysis go to the Drill Down view. If you wish to continue with KBD diagnostics please note intrusive testing may be involved and please ensure the End User Modem is Switched-On and connected.)
: Yes

Today 14:25:42: Please confirm the type of problem being experienced with the service.
: Connection

Today 14:27:58: Do you have your own End User set up checks process? Please note: You must complete all CP and End User checks before (continuing with KBD diagnostics). Please confirm this have been carried out and no customer fault identified. If not please select the 'NO' option below.
: YES

Today 14:27:58: Has the issue been resolved?
: NO

Resolution: ISP15
Please confirm all CP and End User checks have been completed. KBD tests indicate no BTW network fault. This is a CCSFI enabled outcome.
Test Results / Notes
Product Info   WBC End User ACCESS
Profile Info   WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 3dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
BRAS Profile   adsl2000-b
RRT:
RRT:Prognosis for a period of 14 days from 18-Mar-2016 to 31-Mar-2016. Line operated in Low Power consumption mode (L2) for 0% of analysis period. The circuit was in sync throughout the specified analysis period. Please refer to the other sub tests within the KBD including the Status Check to confirm whether the circuit is currently in sync and logged on. If the circuit is currently out of sync please carry out internal wiring, filters, modem/router checks with the End User at the master socket where possible.The circuit has no dropping syncs. Please carry out internal wiring, filters and modem/router checks with the End User at the master socket where possible. Also, refer to the other sub tests within the KBD and use the Performance Tester.This Line is not flapping today (01-Apr).
Down:The line rate has varied by a small amount and frequently on most of the days during the analysis period. The line rate is within acceptable limits. Please see the average value. MIN=2699 AVG=2800 MAX=2848
Down:The noise margin is constant throughout the analysis period.The average margin for this line is at the bare minimum, which can cause dropping connections. MIN=1 AVG=1 MAX=3
Down:There have been insignificant errors on the line during almost all parts of the day. This behaviour happens on almost all days during the analysis period. This is normal behaviour for a DSL product and is not affecting the service in any way. MIN=78 AVG=1859 MAX=3600
Down:This is an extremely long line, and lower line rates can be expected. MIN=65 AVG=65 MAX=65
Down:There have been a few initializations on the line during just a few parts of the day. This behaviour happens on most of the days during the analysis period. MIN=0 AVG=1 MAX=5
Down:This circuit is up for an average 85.0% of the time. MIN=900 AVG=73549 MAX=86400
Up:The line rate has varied by a small amount and frequently on almost all days during the analysis period. The line rate is very high (good). Please see the average value. MIN=525 AVG=530 MAX=534
Up:The noise margin is constant throughout the analysis period.The Noise margins are low. Please see the average value. MIN=5 AVG=6 MAX=7
Up:There have been insignificant errors on the line during almost all parts of the day. This behaviour happens on almost all days during the analysis period. This is normal behaviour for a DSL product and is not affecting the service in any way. MIN=102 AVG=2681 MAX=3600
Up:This is an extremely long line, and lower line rates can be expected. MIN=41 AVG=42 MAX=42
RADIUS:WORKED CWCC@A.1 2016-03-30T03:31:08.000
Status:Circuit In Sync NTE /PowerOn MUX Up LL=41.9 SNR=5.9 522kb/s Down LL=64.5 SNR=1.8 2809kb/s
Copper:Line Test OK - End User Equipment detected ACap=nF BCap=nF DPDist=m DNDist=m

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »

b*cat asks the question --

Did you swap out the modem's power supply as part of your hardware checking?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 05:19:03 AM »

No, I didn't swap out the power supply. I'd better do so ASAP. This will mean calling upon my long-suffering assistant once more.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:24:40 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »

No, I didn't swap out the power supply. I'd better do so ASAP.

Ah . . .

This will mean calling upon my long-suffering assistant once more.

Nods knowingly.  ;)

I have read through the A&A information (listed above) and am at a loss as to: (1) what it means (2) what they are requesting that BT (in whichever guise) do . . . Very confused.  ???

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

I am assuming that this stuff I've quoted is a report by BT's 'intelligent' case analysis system sent to AA. I was told that AA have booked a BT engineer visit.

AA now have tech support formally available on Saturdays. Hurray! Before, there would often be someone hanging around in IRC just in case though.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »

The thing that strikes me is that you're reporting packet loss, but the BT blurb seems to be saying very low error rates.  Is that the case?  I'm not completely sure, for example if your drops were in bursts, and BT's averaging over 24 hours then maybe the two do tie up.   If that's not the case, and you have a high drop rate but low error rate then it doesn't sound like a line fault does it?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

It doesn't have to be a DSL fault at all. What if it's further upstream?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »

Indeed, I was jumping to conclusions that the BT engineer was booked to look at the local line.   Could be a DSLAM card issue?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »

My feeling is, knowing A&A's reputation, that an appropriate support request has been made to attend to the appropriate entity but the feed-back, as seen by Weaver and reproduced here, is garbled.  :-\

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »

One of my earlier faults this year was in the exchange, iirc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything