Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.7.1 released  (Read 30805 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: DSLstats v5.7.1 released
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »

Guys, thanks for your continued support. But, may I ask why you released it with so many bugs?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »

William, it has no bugs on my machine.

The developer, Roseway, has tried over many months to find the cause of these div by zero errors but is unable to do so at the moment.

It is not a paid for piece of software; I'm sure if we put too much pressure on him, Roseway would just walk away from the software and not release any more updates.

Ian

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »

Guys, thanks for your continued support. But, may I ask why you released it with so many bugs?

I can assure you no one releases software knowing it has bugs but there are as many different environments software can run in as there are users of the software. Also another misnomer software does not have bugs or break, it does exactly what the writer coded, the problem arises when a situation arises where something happens which the coder did not anticipate and something goes wrong because that situation was not coded for. There are loads of folks who are running Eric's software with no problem at all, you are only seeing those on here who do have an unforeseen situation as annoying as that may be. If someone writes code which never goes awry they are very lucky or it is very simple software. I know as I speak from nearly 40 years commercial experience of sorting problems in software.

So please no more simplistic comments.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »

Hi

I agree with kitzuser, and would suggest that you realise the many different variations of systems/setups, which any number of reasons could cause the issue, which is why it has to be repeatable or reproducible, in order to resolve

Our 5.7.1 is working fine, no issues and I suspect the number of users with this issue is low, based on the number of reported users with this issue, but of course it could be that users with this issue has not reported as such.

It would be more helpful if, when users report the issue, they state their OS, exactly how they did the upgrade, any AV running etc... Which should help narrow the search to reproduce the issue

I know I moderate on a commercial forum, which is used world wide, and most when reporting issues, do not include any useful information to help, so it's magic ball time

@roseway, your upgrade works fine on our computer and thanks for the software, your efforts are appreciated

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »

@broadstairs, ditto, sorry I think our posts crossed

Many thanks

Jihn

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2016, 11:08:10 PM »

In no way am I criticizing Roseways DSLstats support if I could would like to help more to get the balance right across all supported OS's.

DSlstats Win32bit has no issues that I can see only since updating DSLstats on RPi from 5.6 to 5.7.1 things have started to happen on my upload it's also the reason why the later RPi v5.6.2 didn't work   and had to revert back to v5.6 on RPi

All this info should help Roseway in his investigation
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:15:06 PM by NewtronStar »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2016, 11:22:21 PM »

Hi newtonstar

It works fine on my Windows 7 64 bit over wifi

It would be good I think if you could fully remove from your rpi, and do a full clean install to see if it does the same

I'm sorry though, as I may have set dslstats to use the 24 hour and not modem or visa versa, as I'd need to check

I think if you could reproduce the issue in full and then let roseway know, or sometimes access to your system is really helpful, but understand reasons why this is not possible

I'm not going to post anymore as I don't think I'd be helpful now sorry, but I do hope everyone understands the complexities of software development (I know you do...)

Many thanks

John

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »

It would be good I think if you could fully remove from your rpi, and do a full clean install to see if it does the same

I take it you have never had to set-up a Raspbian OS it's easy with noobs but then it becomes more difficult when setting up devices once you get it set the way you like it a clean install would become a nightmare  :(

wondering if I update the RPi to:
Raspbian Jessie

Full desktop image based on Debian Jessie
Version: February 2016
Release date: 2016-02-09
Kernel version: 4.1

would that make a difference  :-\
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:51:07 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2016, 11:56:01 PM »

I am 100% certain that this is not the case.  If anything, I'd say Eric was more of a perfectionist when it comes to his code,  and he would not knowingly release it if it had any bugs.  He has always been co-operative in adding new features requested by us, and its quite often new features that can introduce bugs.   Unfortunately bugs are sometimes occur no matter how much a program has been tested before release because you cant always test every single environment.    Think about router manufacturers and think about with new routers how often they have to roll out new firmware after release because its only when actually in use that things sometimes come to light.   I've beta tested new modem routers, Ive beta tested for ISPs too.    Large companies have dedicated beta testers, yet things still get missed.    Look at is like this - we here on the forum are erics beta testers and we report any bugs to him. :)

Eric puts an awful lot of unpaid hours into DSLstats - and he spends far more hours than he should at the PC.   Its FREE, he even pays for hosting out of his own pocket and its one of the best programs available for monitoring stats.   If I were Eric and I read that, then I'd feel extremely hurt to suggest that he would even consider doing such a thing.   :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:40 AM »

Thanks for the comments, people. I won't add any more to it.

I'm continuing to look for solutions to the floating point / division by zero issues experienced by some users. It's hard going because I've never been able to reproduce them here. The approach I'm looking at now is to produce a somewhat slimmed-down version of DSLstats with some suspect sections of code either removed completely or rewritten in a simplified form (error averages for example).
  Eric

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »

Installed the new version on my RPI on Friday set to 24hr and not seen the error as yet come to think of it have never seen it on my RPI version. It's always the same people only complain when things go wrong as the guys give the time for free then we should try and help and support them more not give negative comments.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »

Hi

@newtonstar, yes that's more helpful thank you. At least the full distro in now known.

I apologise for my ambiguous statement over reinstall, I actually meant just dslstats but I can see why you thought a full distro reinstall, so apologies for that

@roseway, I didn't realise you paid for hosting, if it helps, I could set you up with hosting FOC, on lamp with cloudflare integration. You would have your own control panel and you look after your site, unlimited bandwidth and daily out of country backups.

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »

That's very kind of you, John, but my hosting needs are very simple, and the cost isn't extortionate.
  Eric

valleysboy

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »

Just to add that although I had a few errors when I first upgraded (on my Raspberry Pi), since I changed to 24 hours averages it has been happily trundling along, error-free, for more than 48 hours now  :)  :fingers:

As an aside I remember (many years ago) poring for hours and hours on end over pages of assembler code trying to find the cause of an intermittent error. After several weeks I finally found the coding error, much to everyone's relief.

I believe the final inspiration was provided by a pint of Bass and a smoked mackerel baguette (although it's unclear which did the trick), so @Roseway it might be worth a try  ;)

And thanks for all of your work.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »

@valleysboy: Thanks for the information, and thanks also for the helpful suggestion. I'll give it some serious thought. :drink:
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8